Sony to Make Big 3D Push in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
How rapidly technology progresses! Personally, I can't wait for this to be standardized and mainstream. 3D + HiDef + motion-sensing controllers like the Wii has will equal a whole new virtual world with a much higher level of realistic interaction. And the PS3 comment is intriguing... Wonder if it has some hidden capabilities waiting to be unlocked by newer firmware!

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that they would need a firmware update for the PS3 in order to make such a thing possible. 3D Resistance 3?

G

Does this mean 3d blu-rays will be incoded in 1080i for each offset frame, if so why the need for special equipment, why can't any 1080p at 60hz work?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
ANY kind of glasses are annoying, just due to the fact that they are glasses! Irrespective of what colors they are. News flash: plenty of people wear glasses all the time and trying to wear two pairs of them doesn't work.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Ok so anyone else remember reading reports pre-release ps3, that said it could support 2 1080p displays? don't suppose sony has been working on this for a while?

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
The blinking tech in oreder to give 3D feel to it I would guess htat will be for short use. Gaming for ages or watching Tv for ages wont be reccomended cause you go blind? I cant wait for 3D and such, dont get me wrong but it better be 3D and not ru9in my eyes cause I'll manage to go blind one way or the other. I'll be sucked into it one way or the other. Too bad Im not risking to buy another Sony TV etc and have to pay >50% the original price to get it fixxed after the warranty is over. Hell no, no more Sony for me. Have had too much from them till a couple of years ago :S

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
No standards in 3d because i have yet to meet one that doesn't give me a headache after an hour i doubt there will ever be on even at high refresh rate little inconsistency f up the mind stupid glasses i guess it could work if i could strap my head in one place so i don't get it but come on

although i do think they are choosing the best method to my preference but the refresh rate will have to be much faster then current tv's else it's gonna look more like Zoetrope then smooth watching.

Give us something a bit better then 3d, like a cheaper tv

homerhellboy223

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]ANY kind of glasses are annoying, just due to the fact that they are glasses! Irrespective of what colors they are. News flash: plenty of people wear glasses all the time and trying to wear two pairs of them doesn't work.[/citation]

I'm not sure why you got a thumbsdown but I think your comment is very reasonable. Anyone who has glasses will have difficulty taking advantage of this feature, that is, unless they acquire contacts.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]stowie[/nom]Does this mean 3d blu-rays will be incoded in 1080i for each offset frame, if so why the need for special equipment, why can't any 1080p at 60hz work?[/citation]

I imagine it could, but remember the player has to process twice as much data. this also means that data will have to be able to be read twice as fast from the bd drive, this is the biggest worry, currently a single bluray video stream can reach peaks of up to 50mb/s, but the ps3 (and im sure many other standalones) only has a 2x bluray drive, max speed 72mb/s. they may be able to achieve better compression as the two streams would be very similar, but they may have to compress the movies more in order for them to be playable in 2x drives.
The ps3 does have the added advantage of alot of memory, which it could buffer data in order to overcome these peaks.

As for video output, I see no reason why any device capable of outputting 1080/60p wouldn't work. it does mean we loose the niceness of 24p tho, unless there is a 48p standard or something already built in, otherwise just do pulldown to 30fps like with dvds, then 2 of them make 60fps.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Shutter glasses? Really Sony? For being a leader of technology, you'd figure Sony would have gone the passive route and put the polarization in the TV. JVC has an incredible TV right now that uses plain old polarized glasses because the tech is all in the TV. Shutter glasses suck. They're bulky, heavy, and ugly. Until autostereoscopic tv's (no glasses) get better, passive/polarized (like in the theater and JVC's tv) is the way to go. The technology's there. Shutter glasses should be a dead tech.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
autostereoscopic wont work for a tv =p unless you watch alone. Unless you taking about the ones that don't track the eyes and those one suck everyone gets headaches and severe eye strain from those.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Let me just clear a few things up here since a lot of people seem to be uneducated on Active Shutter tech:

1. It is currently the best 3D technology offered in terms of clarity and overall quality, with less ghosting than the circular polarized method (the current method used in movies), as well as better compatibility with anti-aliasing.

2. Blinking - or rather eye strain entirely - is nonexistent. Eye strain is only a factor if depth or convergence are too high, which only happens if you want it to (some are used to and prefer high depth). Current Active Shutter technology requires a 120hz refresh rate, which is perceived as 60hz when you've viewing in 3D. 60hz has been the standard NTSC refresh rate for years and anyone whom has ever watched TV or used a computer has grown up viewing this refresh rate.

3. Most, if not all, current active shutter glasses are formed in such a way that allows you to wear them over your current glasses if you have them.

The only real con active shutter tech has compared to circular polarization is the size and weight of the glasses, but both are bound to shrink over time. I will not be surprised if they are able to slim them down to the size of circular polarize glasses in the near future, especially with battery tech getting better and better.

Circular polarization also requires a special TV or projector, which currently is extremely limited in choice. On the other hand, active shutter compatibility is currently being added to TVs at an alarming rate. Either way, the major labels such as Sony here have done plenty of research and are fully aware of the ups and downs of each tech. It must have been a touch choice deciding to go with AS over CP; it will be a bit rough to sell the shutter glasses at first, especially for use with normal TV, but the pros of AS outweigh those of CP and they believe people will get used to wearing the bulkier specs.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
As always PC's are WAY ahead of the curve, I have a 3D Trimon monitor that uses polarised glasses (NVIDIA have a shutter solution). Playing games in 3D really adds to the experience in my opinion (you'd be surprised at how many games you can play in 3d including nearly all recent releases), and watching films (obviously made for 3D) is really enjoyable too. Is it a must have ? No, but I am glad Sony is innovating along with NVIDIA and SKY....

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hm, it's interesting to note, that you don't really need a new TV to do it. It's all about synchronizing glasses with refresh rate of your TV (well, and of course you need 3D video content). So if your TV supports refresh rates that are high enough (well, mine does :p) and with no ghosting, it should work.

Note, that "active shutter" glasses are much more comfortable than polarized, as you could rotate your head as you want.

G

Aye on Shutter glasses. Have been using them with First Gen Nvidia 3d card tech with the PC. Yes it required bulky CRT monitors, because that was the ONLY tech that could provide 120Hz. The game depth is incredible. Way to go Nvidia and Sony. I hear the second gen Nvidia 3d glasses are already much better with ghosting.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Considering most new high end TVs are 240Hz refresh rate, you'd be able to achieve 120Hz per eye using shutter glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.