Sony to Release Spherical Omnidirectional Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
its not a mono signal, but it looks like its a single speaker design. But unless you are in between the two speakers, a stereo system will end up sounding mono anyways. Maybe you could bluetooth 2 of them for big balls of thunder in your ride.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Wow do I detect Sony trying to go back to their roots here? It's about time. Now if they'd offer up a new shortwave radio, and a few other classic Sony specialties I'd start to think they were on their way back to health and being the great company they once were.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]F*ck the iPhone, make a pair for the PC.[/citation]
ew, why? there are already an abundant amount of good speakers for pc that can simulate surround very well, why would i need these? these seem good enough for a PMP, but these portable speakers never sound as good as a sub $100 set for PC

G

Looks like they just took a normal speaker, added some connectivity options, made a round case, put it on its back, and placed a roof on it.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]You just stole my idea of claiming people stole my idea and sue them!we shall meet in Court!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

I've had enough courts for one day ty. You can have my idea :)

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
IF this catches on, which I highly doubt, I can see it now. Instead of 5.1 or 7.1 it will 5 ball or 7 ball. How many balls is your system? I got 7 balls myself.

G

get yourselves some decent speakers and a stereoamp to enjoy good music. Oh wait!: hipsters just listen to $h1tty mp3 music

I find it likely that the sound would be DISTORTED due to the design and placement. With it being omnidirectional, even if the sound left in all directions equally (which I doubt) you'd have a big problem with sound bouncing off the walls and arriving to a persons ears in a jumble.

My HDTV only has two speakers, directly facing me ten feet away in my bedroom. However, if I open my door (to my left) the sound changes and certain sounds seem like they're coming from that door due to the way sound is bouncing around in the room.

If I use a "virtual 3D" option it gets much worse and this all ties into the issue with multi-directional sound waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.