Question Sony Vaio black screen after thermal paste replacement

xjimdim

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hello everyone.

So I have the following really weird problem:

A friend of mine asked me to do thermal paste replacement for his old (2009 maybe) Sony Vaio laptop. (Model: pcg-81212m)
After having done the job multiple times at the past, the whole process went smoothly.
I reassembled the laptop but when I turn in on I get black screen and no fan running for ~30 seconds.
After ~30 seconds the fan starts running at full speed (screen is still black) and nothing really happens after that.
Also there is another really weird symptom: I have the power supply of the laptop connected to the same multi plug as my desktop 5.1 speakers. When I connect the power to the laptop, I get a (low-volume) noise through the speakers. When I turn the laptop on, that noise gets super amplified and is really audible.

So I'm thinking, maybe some kind of electrical feedback? or something of that nature.

Oh yeah there is another detail. My friend didn't have a magnetic screwdriver but he had a pair of "magnet rocks". So I used the magnets to magnetize some of the screws out during the disassembly (but I was careful not to go near the HDD). Is there any possibility that the magnets screw up any of the components inside?? (they were pretty strong).

Thanks, hope we solve this :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WilliamLacy Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 0
P Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 5
T Laptop Tech Support 4
Escapevasion Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 10