Sony vaio black screen and only power led on

supertraz

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi,
I tried to change the ram on my Vaio laptop VPCY2 , I remove the ram, clean them and I put them at his place. I restarted the laptop but nothing, only a black screen, power led is on but HDD led doesn't switch on. I tried to start it without ram and it makes always the same, no beep or others.
What can i do ?
Before no problems, I'm really disappointed.
Please help me. Thanks

Why were you trying to change the RAM? Don't EVER, EVER change the RAM. It's bad to change the RAM. Just kidding. Seriously, were you trying to replace the RAM due to a faulty module or were you trying to upgrade to a different module with more capacity or speed? What was the reason for changing hardware?

If the old RAM was working have you tried putting it back in to see if it boots with the old RAM only?

What is the FULL model number of the laptop? It should be printed on the bottom of the case or in the battery compartment under the battery, on the case.

supertraz

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
PCG-4111M this is the model. I want to upgrade the ram and removed the old to check the model, i put the old ram and t doesn't works. I have another vaio (same model) and work with that ram. If I try to start without ram it doesn't do any beep. I don't know how to damage it only removing ram ! thanks

Ok, so I think I'm understanding now. You wanted to upgrade the RAM, so you removed it to check and see what the model number was, but when you put it back in, the system would not run. Your other unit DOES run with that RAM installed though, so you know the RAM is ok? Did you run the other unit with the RAM that came out of the one that doesn't work, by itself, or with the RAM that was still already installed in the second unit?

Try booting that laptop with only the module that came out of the laptop that doesn't want to boot, and see if it still will POST. If not, probably a bad module. If it does, then there is likely some other issue on the first laptop.

supertraz

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Yes, I understand well thanks. i tried with the other laptop's modules but nothing, I tried only 1 module but nothing. In the other laptop all works good with all the ram module. I don't understand what I did to give this problem, only removed the ram and then put them again in the same way.