Saud_2

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Hello all,
Without babbling around the forest too much, I will get straight to my problem. I own a Sony VAIO VPCF235FA that I purchased for $2,100 AUD back in 2012. I spent a premium price on a machine that will serve me for a long time, and remain future proof.

Ever since I upgraded the machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I have observed a serious shortage in processing power every time I unplug it from the AC outlet, and use it on battery. I launched task manager and noticed that the CPU's frequency and usage is capped off at 780 MHz, and 33% respectively. Like every one on Sony Community forums advised me, I headed over control panel where I set the minimum and maximum CPU usage on battery to 100%. I also downloaded SpeedFan to verify that I was not thermal throttling. A quick look at the temperature ruled out this possibility because my Intel Core i5 2430M idles at 45 Celsius, and maintains 69 Celsius under heavy loading.

This did not change anything whatsoever. The CPU still maintains a maximum speed of 780 mHz. It is extremely difficult, and frustrating to use a machine running Windows 10 fitted with a CPU running at the speed of an early generation Pentiun III. I have also dug through the OEM Sony bios. I could not find any advanced settings to disable core parking/frequency scaling on battery.

Any solution to this problem? Will anything fix this issue without me having to hack into the OEM bios, or do I have to accept my luck that Intel's Sandy Bridge line of CPUs are a relic from the past and I will have to invest in another machine? I work away from the power outlet very frequently, and cannot have a laptop that is unable to render a webpage correctly on battery power.

EDIT: I clean out the heatsink weekly by blowing through the vent with the help of a can of compressed air. The fan bearing was lubricated with WD40 last month. This once again rules out thermal throttling.