Question Sony VAIO netbook VPCW210AL hardware upgrade/software malfunctioning

Sep 11, 2021
Hi, everyone! I hope y'all are ok! I have this netbook and recently no update wants to work , no Microsoft updates, no Firefox, Microsoft Edge, last update of any kind that worked was in early 2020. So I have been wondering if there was any chance to upgrade either RAM, SDD, CPU, anything! The windows installed is a legitimate version of windows 10. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I am aware that by going to factory settings I could potentially fix this problem. But since I'd have to "potentially" do that, I'd like to know, with the windows11 coming out, whether I could upgrade the hardware and just install w11 altogether. Again, thank you.

Last edited:
A few things you can try:
  • Run a virus scan--preferably an offline scan (look on the internet for how to do that). A virus can result in updating not working.
  • Run the windows update troubleshooter (again look this up on the internet).
  • You can try a Windows "reset" leaving your programs and data intact.
  • Do a clean reinstall of Windows. Here's a good tutorial: https://www.howtogeek.com/714130/how-to-install-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive/. Make sure you back up your data first and have the disks/keys needed to reinstall your software. Run BelArc advisor to get a list of (most of) your keys. Win 11 will be an easy upgrade after your reinstall Win 10. No need to wait for 11.
Updating the hardware is not going to help with this problem. Let me know what works!

Sep 11, 2021
A few things you can try:
  • Run a virus scan--preferably an offline scan (look on the internet for how to do that). A virus can result in updating not working.
  • Run the windows update troubleshooter (again look this up on the internet).
  • You can try a Windows "reset" leaving your programs and data intact.
  • Do a clean reinstall of Windows. Here's a good tutorial: https://www.howtogeek.com/714130/how-to-install-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive/. Make sure you back up your data first and have the disks/keys needed to reinstall your software. Run BelArc advisor to get a list of (most of) your keys. Win 11 will be an easy upgrade after your reinstall Win 10. No need to wait for 11.
Updating the hardware is not going to help with this problem. Let me know what works!
Hello AlHuneke, thank you for your time , I DO understand that updating the hardware will not fix the problem. Maybe I wrote everything a little confusing. My question was since I will most probably have to do a clean reinstall of Windows, I began to wonder if this particular netbook´s hardware could be updated, so instead of simply reinstalling w10, I could install w11 instead, because I read that one of the min req. were 4gb and my netbook has 2gb ram. IN ANY CASE, I WILL follow the steps you have kindly provided me with and let you know! Thank you!!:D