Question Sony VAIO not starting (at all)

Nov 22, 2021
Vintage 2001 Sony VAIO model PCG-FX220 on the front, PCG-984L on the back: press power button, Power and both Battery indicators flash, then all 3 'Lock' indicators flash, then all go off. If power button is held, this occurs at about 15 times/10 seconds rate. I've tried all the battery/adapter/BIOS battery removal along with holding the power button down with all power removed - no help. I removed all removable items (HDD, keyboard, ROM, Main and BIOS batteries, fan, BIOS card(?)), still does exactly the same thing using the adapter as the power source. Acts like a power latch isn't making contact, similar to what some have said may be faulty solder joint(s). Does anyone know what is supposed to hold the power on after the power button is pressed and until Windows shuts it down?
BTW, it failed over a year ago, I put it out in the garage; got it out a few days ago to troubleshoot and, voile! It fired right up - used it for about four hours with no problem. Shut it down and the next day it reverted to its original problem as described above.

Probably time to say goodbye to a 20 year old laptop. Assuming you are running Windows, it must be a very old version which means support from MS ended long ago leaving you vulnerable to all sorts of nasties. To answer your question, what holds the power on after you press the button is the electronics in the power supply. There is no reason to suspect poor solder joints but that can (extremely rarely) happen. Would not even be on my radar. I hope you have been following good ESD practices as you tinker. If not, it's quite possible you damaged something.

Nov 22, 2021
OK, thanks.
I had upgraded from ME to XP and replaced the HDD already. Hate to say goodbye to an old friend, but . . .
Any advice on disposition of salvageable parts? I'm pretty sure the display is still good.

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK, thanks.
I had upgraded from ME to XP and replaced the HDD already. Hate to say goodbye to an old friend, but . . .
Any advice on disposition of salvageable parts? I'm pretty sure the display is still good.
Likely your town has some sort of electronic recycling thing.
None of it is really salvageable. At most, take the screen off and flog it on ebay.

Or, put the whole thing on fleabay. Maybe someone will want it for parts.