Sony Vaio VGN-FW31ZJ dead after replacement webcam

jeetjemina

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
I'm a computer technican for more then 20 years and have disassembles and assembles tons of laptops and pc's.

I have a laptop, the VGN-FW31ZJ, on my desk with which seems a not so complicated problem. The webcam stopped working and needed to be replaced.

I have open up and worked with many Vaio's so I took the usual road in disassembling the laptop.
1) power cord out 2) took the battery out 3) removed RAM modules, hard drive etc, removed the keyboard and gently took out all the internal cables, speakers etc.
Then removed the screws off the screen and took of the frame and replace the cam.

The assembled the whole thing back again and,,, when I put in the power plug (green LED on the brick) back in the laptop nothing happened. In one occassion the orange LED blink a few times very fast but it did this one or two times and from then on the laptop is not showing any signs of life.

I have taken the obvious steps to determine the cause. Also took out the battery and pressed the on/off switch for 30+ seconds.
I have dis/assebled everything a few times to make sure no connectors or cables were loose or wrongly connected.
I am aware that there are problems with the power socket of the FW laptop but I have checked the voltages on the mainboard with the power cable connected and that seems fine.

Further more I have watch a LOT of youtube clips and read many SONY web pages with troubleshoting tips etc but that does not help me.

Please not that this laptop was in full working order, with a perfect working battery/charger, accept for the webcam !

Anoyone who can help?

jeetjemina

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
After a lot of hours I finally found the problem. One of the 4 tiny wires on the cable which is connected to the power button looked solid and connected but when I wiggled it, it appeared to be kinda loose.
There is no way you can solder these tiny connections so as a quick fix I put a tiny drop of glue on it so it is pretty secure for the moment while I am ordering a new power button.