Sony Vaio VPCSA Not booting

Rabmac

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Hi,

As the title says, can't get laptop to boot.

First let me describe what is happening when I press the power switch. The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

Here is what I have tried so far but nothing worked.

1. Removed battery & power cable, then held down power button for 1 minute. Plugged power cable back in and tried to boot. The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

2. Replaced the RAM with RAM from working machine: The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

3. Replaced hard drive with drive from working machine. The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

4. Tried connecting the laptop with HDMI to TV and tried to boot. The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

5. Cleaned all dust from vents and components [not much dust found] and tried to boot. The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

6. Tried booting with just battery and also just power cable but same outcome. The lights come on, the fans spin, no POST beeps heard and then all lights go off after about 5 seconds and machine sounds like it is switching off but fans keep spinning. Nothing is ever seen on the screen.

I think it must be one of the following faulty motherboard, faulty CPU or overheating [can't feel any parts getting hot when I touch the case]. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try next?

Thanks