Sony Vaio wont start, but hdd does...

spf203

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Hi everyone,
I have a sony vaio laptop model: VPCSA3AFX

I was using it yesturday with zero issues. Before I went to bed, I closed the lid and put it off to the side. When I woke up the next morning and went to use it, it wouldnt start up. At first I though the battery was dead, but even when I plugged it in, it wouldnt start.

However....when I press the power switch, I can hear the hard drive turn on but nothing else lights up (the led keyboard, the screen, the power light, the hard drive active light, etc. It does this even when I take the battery out and have it plugged into the charger and vice versa. So I know its not the battery/charger.

I can usually fix things on my own, but I am completly lost as to what it could be. Can someone please help me?

Much appreciated

spf203

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Its definitely the hard drive. I took the cover off where the battery is and I can hear/feel it moving. When I unplug the hard drive from the motherboard, and try to start it again, I hear nothing. When I plug it back in and try to start it, it starts making noise again.

spf203

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Okay, that makes sense. Besides a motherboard, do you think there any other switches/relays/regulators that possibly be causing this problem?

If I can eliminate everything else, I have no problem buying a mobo and replacing it myself instead of having it shipped to sony and pay insane amounts of money for it to be fixed

Thanks