Sony Vegas: black bars above/below video

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel rendered in HD quality. The video has black bars above and below it. Is there a fix for this? Any help is appreciated.

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

The original footage was not shot in full HD. I believe it was shot in SD using Fraps, a screen recording software. I have an idea of what the problem may be regarding the black bars. The video I uploaded to YouTube was accidentally pre-rendered as a .wmv file, then re-rendered using the Internet 720p HD settings. I think this messed with the size standards for the video as it was formatted for Windows Media Player.

Have you tried rendering the file again and uploading it to YouTube? If yes, did the video still have the black (letterboxing) bars? Upscaling SD video to HD video, even 720p, can be a bit tricky since SD video lacks the information of HD video.

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

I uploaded a second video last night only rendered with the Internet HD 720p settings. The black bars are still there. If it helps, I was using a custom template based off of the Internet HD 720p settings. I have sampling disabled and maintain aspect ratio disabled as well. When aspect ratio is checked, it leaves the black bars on the side of the video rather than on top. This is twice as annoying.

These are the settings I am currently using for my videos (click to expand):

Main video clip properties:

Main project properties:

Internet HD 720p Custom Template video settings:

Internet HD 720p Custom Template project settings:

The video quality is great, full HD. The video will maintain the proper size until you try to expand to full screen mode, that's when the black bars appear.

I appreciate the help and I hope my images can give you an idea of what my settings are configured for... please ask any questions if you have them.

What would be helpful is more information on the original file (the one you are trying to encode as 720p). A program I use to find details about a clip I am not quite sure about is GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/). Download and open the file in the program. It will give you information about the clip (frame rate, aspect ratio, codec, etc.). Post that information here and I may be able to help determine what you can do.

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Hope this helps...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS