Sony's New Walkman To Take On Zune, iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR0W M@GN3T

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Nice, I always liked the walkman series for their sound quality and long battery life. 130 dollars for 16 gb doesn't hurt either.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Heh, if it keep susing SonicStage software it will be the epic fail of all times... man that crap makes even Creative look good.[/citation]
Sony got rid of Sonic Stage two years ago. They now use WMP. Based on previous sony mp3 players, this one should have good sound quality and a great screen. We should find out soon enough.

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I believe Creative was first to market with a digital music player, (long before Apple). Admittedly it was a pig ugly device (similar to the Sony 'discman' if I recall) but kudos to them for the innovation....

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]Sony got rid of Sonic Stage two years ago. They now use WMP. Based on previous sony mp3 players, this one should have good sound quality and a great screen. We should find out soon enough.[/citation]

My last phone was a Walkman w580i and it had the best looking screen of any compact cell phone I'd seen. I never got a chance to use the music player though so I have no comment about that...

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Heh, if it keep susing SonicStage software it will be the epic fail of all times... man that crap makes even Creative look good.[/citation]

The Creative software might've been horrible but you didn't even need to use it since you could just use WMP or another music program, or even just drag and drop from Windows Explorer. I've had three Creative players and I loved them all, they were nice PMPs, had great sound, screens, and features.

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I love my Zune but I'm glad to see this. The more players there are in the PMP game the better for the consumer.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I bought a Sony Walkman a few weeks ago and it is fantastic. Designed for those who love music and actually care about sound quality at a reasonable price (so not iPod buyers).

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"The device is also compatible with iTunes 8.1... until Apple decides to kick this device off the service as well"

iTunes isn't a 'service' its a piece of software... its not like it costs Apple money to support the third party, probably costs them money to make sure they DON'T support third parties... its just a blatant anti-competition move, like we've come to expect from apple (well except the EU for some reason...)

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]jecht[/nom]My last phone was a Walkman w580i and it had the best looking screen of any compact cell phone I'd seen. I never got a chance to use the music player though so I have no comment about that...The Creative software might've been horrible but you didn't even need to use it since you could just use WMP or another music program, or even just drag and drop from Windows Explorer. I've had three Creative players and I loved them all, they were nice PMPs, had great sound, screens, and features.[/citation]

I concur. I still have that phone and like it a lot. It's small enough and the screen is pretty sharp albeit small for today's standards. The walkman feature is OK. I wish looking up songs would be easier but it isn't horrible. The audio quality is great though.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I really find this funny. Listen. I use to be on the look for a better MP3 player, ohhh 8gb, wow 16gb, dang.... 32gb...... and then 80 and 120gb using micro drives that skip all the time and never last....

Then I thought about it. Hummm. My cell phone contract is coming up soon. What are my options to get 1 device that does everything really good.

The iPhonie is nice, but it explodes and it is pretty limited as to memory expansion.

Palm has the pre, and I am not really that familiar with it.

And then there is Blackberry.

1. The Blackberry Bold is small
2. The Bold has a better screen than any of the MP3 players I have seen
3. It may only have 1gb of internal memory, but it has a Micro SD slot that I quickly put a 16gb card in for only $60 (online)
4. When the 32gb cards are out, I can ^^UPGRADE^^ :) what a concept people
5. While the standard battery may not be "that good", the standard battery will hold its own with a fancy MP3 player, and I get phone, internet, apps, etc. And I went and got a 3500mah extended battery that fits the standard case because it is that slim with the "big battery" Only using the phone as an MP3 player gets me 10 days of battery life... Do that with your Zune, Ipode, etc, right...
6. The Bold has many case options (belt clip, arm band, etc)
7. I know I am stuck in a 2 year contract, but hey, a $99 MP3 Player is not bad, especially with the ability to make phone calls, wifi, blue tooth, and the software is really easy to upgrade.

Couple that with a nice set of Shure noise canceling earbuds and you can throw the other mp3 players out the door, and then in 2 years, I will be looking at a new one that takes a 64gb or 128gb memory card.

Go figure, and the old phone (mp3 player) is very well setup.

anyway. My 2 cents...

G

hmmm this is Sony right? $130 for a 16GB player sounds too cheap especially for Sony who price their products above the rest (like Apple). If the pricing is correct this will definitely give the Zune and Touch a run for their money as well as other devices.

G

No. its not too cheap. Everyone has just gotten use to getting wallet raped for PMPs.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I was going to mention that 2.4" is a bit small for a screen...until I remembered that hardly anyone actually uses their PMP predominately for video. I bought my Zen thinking "furk yeah, portable movies!", and now all I use it for is music.

Anyone else have the same experience?

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I still have my original sony walkman with a casette player and fm stereo receiver from the late 80's. I also have a sony discman from 1995 which I bought when on vacation for $130 at radio shack, lol. BOTH players still work too. Just a little bit of nostalgia for the masses, heh.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I read a review that rated them well but pointed out some flaws...maybe the next revision will correct them? Personally I look for older players that I can rockbox. I find my rockboxed Sansa e280 to be my favorite mp3 player because it is small, has a micro sd slot for expansion and, of course, because it is running rockbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.