Sony's PSP-4000 May Be Slated for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Unless it is going to end up being a second generation PSP(a real second generation), then the sales will be horrible. Sony would have to include dual analog joysticks, improved games, and improved graphics. It will also need built-in storage(16 to 32 GB or more)...hell, everything needs to be improved significantly in order to entice customers.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Good greif, would Sony and Nintendo stop it with the incremental upgrades? I want real next-gen handhelds already! There are so many new mobile graphics chips out there that would provide both longer battery life and better graphics for both handhelds (tegra anyone? Or SGX?), just dump the current hardware already.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I think it would take some extreme innovation to get me to buy a portable gaming device. I already have a phone, so that takes care of calls and texting. I have a laptop, so that take care of any internet/music/movies/email on the go.

If i was looking at a portable anything, it would be a portable gaming system. The extras are always nice, but I really already have them covered for the most part. Now if I wanted to play videos and listen to music on a smaller screen with less space for digital media then this might make more sense to me.

I guess when it comes down to it, I would rather see a more powerful, portable, and innovative gaming option rather than an all-inclusive media player/web browser device.

togenshi

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Come on sony, listen to the consumers for once. Dual Analog sticks, next-gen graphics and phone capabilities and you are sitting on a gold mine. You have a mobile devision, you have a gaming devision, how hard is it to get them both working together?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wow, sony is even worse than nintendo! how many new versions can you release without actually changing anything interesting!! JUST RELEASE THE PSP 2 AND DS 2 ALREADY!!!

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
unless sony actually listens to its consumers and adds a second analog stick along with games that support it out the gate then i will not be getting another psp. I traded mine for a ds, but honestly what I want is a console experience on the go not something completely different. But I am probably one of the few in that department.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I'm in your department griffed88

I agree with others, we need a new piece of technology, some some pitifully updated rehash of something that's been around for almost 5 freekin years. Wow, talk about milking the economy for what it's worth though, holding back on tech to make every small penny possible for as many years as possible. Admirably cunning strategy, but their foolish lack of innovation will be their downfall and their competitor's uprising.

G

You do know that the "tech" in the PSP is superior then the competition and they're still losing.

So your right, increasing production cost to create something with more "tech" is totally the right move because its not like they was any better then the competition.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jiowjeofjsklocuoie[/nom]You do know that the "tech" in the PSP is superior then the competition and they're still losing.So your right, increasing production cost to create something with more "tech" is totally the right move because its not like they was any better then the competition.[/citation]

That's because if it's not fun to play games on the PSP, it does not matter how "superior" it is. I think if game developers saw some new power in a next gen portable, they would be willing to put out some decent games.

Sony needs something to separate it from the ds, just like how the ds has the touch screen to separate it from the psp. Vastly superior hardware could be the kind of separation sony needs. The psp's graphics aren't THAT much better right now anyways. At least not enough to persuade consumers to buy the psp.

And if you wonder why the psp is losing to the competition, just look at the audience they cater to. Portable Nintendo consoles have always had an awesome appeal to the younger crowd. Sony doesn't try to appeal to that crowd. So it's no wonder sony is being outsold in the portable department when every little kid wants a ds.

G

what about creating the hardware on a smaller die resulting in faster less power hungry, and perhaps have a slightly increased graphics processor?

One of the only things missing in the PSP is AA.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, I look at it this way.
A 16GB iPod touch and a 16GB Zune cost around the same as a PSPgo, which is also 16GB.

I just see it as a more functional MP3 player (wifi, games, movies, etc.) at a decent price.

I am happy they are bringing back the original form factor though.
With all hope, 128MB of RAM, a 600MHz+ 32nm CPU, 32GB memory...
Don't give a damn about UMDs myself.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Good greif, would Sony and Nintendo stop it with the incremental upgrades? I want real next-gen handhelds already! There are so many new mobile graphics chips out there that would provide both longer battery life and better graphics for both handhelds (tegra anyone? Or SGX?), just dump the current hardware already.[/citation]

Combine a dual core Atom with tegra and bam. Mini PC and much nicer graphics (probably PS2+).

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
This is like Sega in the mid 90's when they when from cartridge (Genesis '89) to CD (Sega CD '92) back to cartridge (32x '94) and back to CD again with their new console (Saturn '95) all within a span of three years and finally going bust with the Dreamcast in '98.

The good thing is that developers don't get burned by this, just the PSPGo owners.

G

They should do away with Memory stick and add an SDHC card slot or even better a microSDHC card slot! UMD support is good though, as a lot of folks have legacy games.

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
here is what i thinking,

yes, stop doing small upgrade crap cuz most people who welling to buy PSP already done so with 3 different type over 5 years. sony wouldn't got any new user nor old user if it just small upgrade. there no point buying same hardware. i like PSP alot when it frist come out 5 years ago. but iphone just beat the crap out of psp in everyway but gaming (i dont play game in iphone). movie, size, battery life, music, photo.. iphone just better in so many way.

psp can't beat iphone in multimedia, therefore sony need to support it with better games. but what we got in PSP so far?? all we got is handful of AAA game and tons of half arse title. no matter how good the hardware is, no body would buy it if all they offer is half arse title. i buy tons of psp game when it first come out.. like 14 so far, and only 2 game i remember which is AAA GTA3 and GoW.. even FF7 is kinda lame compare to old FF7.

PSP for me is offically dead.. out date hardware + crappy game = waste of space

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
agreed with most posts above, psp hardware is dead in the water. they need a complete refresh, specifically features would have to include dual analog sticks, built in storage, removable battery, wifi adapter better than 802.11b(geez how long has 802.11g been out?), some level of backwards compatibility, new graphics. i couldnt care less if it has a UMD drive or not but if it doesnt they should give u the proper ability to convert your games to a digital format. graphics are farrrr behind current standards, and u cant compare it to the DS simply because they are very different machines with slightly different audiences. i have not touched my psp in months except to pair it with my new ps3 slim :).

Status
Not open for further replies.