Sony's Very New PS Vita Gets the Teardown Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_wilson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
You must be joking. Mobile games with their simple lighting, low polygon count, so-so textures and simplistic controls can not compare to the games on PSV.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]First, an other useless toys since phone, tablet are coming better and better[/citation]

I think the primary market for this kind of device are still kids. Most of them don't have a smartphone.

The biggest problem of the Vita is the 3DS. It's cheaper and already has an ever growing library of games.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I think the primary market for this kind of device are still kids

Really? Have you looked at the lineup?

You must be joking. Mobile games with their simple lighting, low polygon count, so-so textures and simplistic controls can not compare to the games on PSV.

Agreed. I have a hunch that most people that keep saying the PSV is just higher end cell phone hardware with dual analog sticks and runs similar games needs to go to the store and actually try a PSV.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]First, an other useless toys since phone, tablet are coming better and better[/citation]

Do they make rosetta stone for Android and iOS?

And to anybody saying that "phone games" are comprable to "handheld games" The bulk of my reasoning for sticking with a 3DS is because the games are much meatier. You're not going to find a 30-40 hour RPG experience on your phone (Puzzle Quest doesn't count) but there are several available for the DS (GS: Dark Dawn, any Dragon Quest title, some other JRPGs) and probably a butt-ton of JRPGs for the PSP/PSPV that would eat up entire weeks.

Try getting THAT with angry birds.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm looking forward to Wipeout 2048. The Vita has something called cross-play, where you can play Vita games through the PS3.... Wipeout 2048 will have 8 player multiplayer with cross-play to the PS3.... that just seems FUN to me.

Link is to a demo of a person playing Wipeout 2048 on the PS3 vs another player on a Vita:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-4jVvvrWAE

If that doesn't look cool to you... then... OK. Continue to play Angry Birds. I'm actually a little excited about the Vita. I think it's going to be a fun device in my household.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I dunno if you still play video games over hours hours, get a life maybe, sure this is aim for teenager/ kids but still. Tablet / Phone do more but are power ungry, they just need to put 3g network off switch for gaming mode and we are starting to see less tablet / phone power ungry so in the next years those portable gaming console will be non existant

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
No hdmi out?!?!? With a handheld that is supposed to have the power equivalent to a ps3, you'd expect an hdmi out... Kinda disappointing. Most phones have hdmi out, why wouldn't they build it in? Thats a big selling point for me, I was planning on getting one if it had it, but since it doesn't i'll just get an android or windows 8 phone instead. Too bad.

Siiru

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I expected to see a lot of tablet fanboys trying to boycott PSV when it gets released, but reading them from those who doesn't even know what they're talking about is just ridiculous.

t_wilson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]No hdmi out?!?!? With a handheld that is supposed to have the power equivalent to a ps3, you'd expect an hdmi out... Kinda disappointing. Most phones have hdmi out, why wouldn't they build it in? Thats a big selling point for me, I was planning on getting one if it had it, but since it doesn't i'll just get an android or windows 8 phone instead. Too bad.[/citation]
The reason is quite simple, Sony doesn't want to compete for the living room against itself. Even though the PSV is not as powerful as a PS3, it's close enough that you would connect it to a TV and forgo the console. They want the PSV to complement the PS3, not fight against it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cwolf78[/nom]Really? Have you looked at the lineup?Agreed. I have a hunch that most people that keep saying the PSV is just higher end cell phone hardware with dual analog sticks and runs similar games needs to go to the store and actually try a PSV.[/citation]

well... it really is a phone with hither end parts in it... the key difference is the controles, and you will never see those on "just a phone" type of phones.

they can be addons, but they will never be a part you cant take off, and thats what makes gameing on a vita, 3ds, ds, psp more enjoyable than a touch screen phone on almost every game BESIDES games that really use the touch screen, not just as a "you have to control it some how" kind of deal, but a control scheme that "you could only do this WITH a touch screen"

Status
Not open for further replies.