News Sorry Netflix, HBO Max is the best streaming service now — here's why

Feb 20, 2021
I subscribe to both Netflix and HBO Max. I watch both on my PC in a Chrome browser. The latter has inferior video display compared to Netflix. For instance, HBO's video player lacks any skip forward button. It lacks any way to change playback speed. It also scales very poorly when changing window size. HBO Max only has a couple of preset window sizes other than full screen. When you drag the corner of a browser showing Netflix, the video window scales in size to match the browser's window's size. HBO Max fails this test. It just sits there at its own predetermined window size regardless of your actual window size. Most of your screen is wasted. How stupid is that?!

In addition, HBO Max's video player has very limited language and subtitle options plus no way to report sound, image or subtitle problems within the video playback controls. These problems are not hard to fix but nothing ever changes with HBO.

Mar 21, 2021
I subscribe to both Netflix and HBO Max. I watch both on my PC in a Chrome browser. The latter has inferior video display compared to Netflix. For instance, HBO's video player lacks any skip forward button. It lacks any way to change playback speed. It also scales very poorly when changing window size. HBO Max only has a couple of preset window sizes other than full screen. When you drag the corner of a browser showing Netflix, the video window scales in size to match the browser's window's size. HBO Max fails this test. It just sits there at its own predetermined window size regardless of your actual window size. Most of your screen is wasted. How stupid is that?!

In addition, HBO Max's video player has very limited language and subtitle options plus no way to report sound, image or subtitle problems within the video playback controls. These problems are not hard to fix but nothing ever changes with HBO.

Looks like all their priority is in content and marketing right now. If they had spent even a portion of that amount on technology, things would be different.