Sorry, No Tethering for Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I wonder if Microsoft ever wondered why Google phones are so successful. Can you say openness? No limitations etc? People hate limitations, why disable such a simple feature?

G

Tethering is dead anyway due to greedy wireless carriers charging up to $40/month to share one's 3G connectivity that we already pay up to another $40/mpth for with my laptop, these are separate from the standard phone bills. Whether a phone has tethering or not is of no use because it is just too expensive in the first place especially I am getting charged to share a service I already pay for. Stop this noise about tethering, noboy cares.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Reminds me of Apple. Strip the device of all the cool features and then introduce them later in a follow up product. That way everybody that purchased the first one will have to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Android ftw!

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
As if I cared, the percentage of the phones available with any kind of windows where I live is small, the phones are expensive and most of all not necessary. Though if the hardware is good on them, I might consider the phone as a choice...

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Let's see, MS intends to compete with current smartphone market leaders by stripping out just about everything from their "smartphone". Which leaves consumers with basically a cell phone.

No one in the MS food chain can speak up and say, "No, wait, let's give the customers more functions! Let's give them something better than what is out there! Then they will want to buy our phone!"

Shuge1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Probably they would do what they did with the iphone/ipod and bluetooth.. a firmware update maybe..
But definately not the right move, considering the current competition.

Shuge1

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Probably they would do what apple did with the iphone/ipod and bluetooth.. Enable it with a firmware update maybe..
But definately not the right move, considering the current competition.

abear007

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]I wonder if Microsoft ever wondered why Google phones are so successful. Can you say openness? No limitations etc? People hate limitations, why disable such a simple feature?[/citation]
Google's success is not so much on openness, but the illusion of being open to draw attention to widen its search base.

They don't count on selling certain numbers of devices to keep their lights on. They are in the business of getting to know you and I better so they can sale more (expensive) ads.

Nothing really wrong with it, they are just in a different form of business.... that's all.

G

It seems that Microsoft is trying to make its new phone OS unattractive to 80% of the market. Wise.

See also: Microsoft Kin.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
[citation][nom]techieg[/nom]Tethering is dead anyway due to greedy wireless carriers charging up to $40/month to share one's 3G connectivity that we already pay up to another $40/mpth for with my laptop, these are separate from the standard phone bills. Whether a phone has tethering or not is of no use because it is just too expensive in the first place especially I am getting charged to share a service I already pay for. Stop this noise about tethering, noboy cares.[/citation]

Switch to T-Mobile, I use the data thats on my plan for tethering on any phone i want on full HSDPA speeds like 5 mb/s down and 1mb up and you can use it all day, at the end of the month, my bill doesnt go up 1 penny. I dont even know why people like suffering on other networks when the cheapest one is also the best...(depending on your area)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
No CDMA? I'm sorry, shouldn't your phone design include a generic "network adapter interface", and then manufacturers simply insert a CDMA or GSM chip right there? The fact that anyone at Microsoft mentioned resources is a clear indication that Microsoft is not 100% behind this product. If Microsoft isn't supporting their own product 100%, it will be gone in a year or two.

[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Let's see, MS intends to compete with current smartphone market leaders by stripping out just about everything from their "smartphone". Which leaves consumers with basically a cell phone. [/citation]
Now now, you're forgetting about XBox Live!. Windows Phone 7 XBox Live! will ship with over 100 games available (less than 50% Bejewelled rip-offs gauranteed). That's sure to bring in the customers.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
All of this equates to a lackluster phone... when competing with the best, you can't just tie for the crown.. you have to take it. Perhaps spending money on a funeral for other phones was not a wise decision when you're money could have put to use integrating what is now standard features on most high-end smart phones.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I just don't understand. No copy and paste? Ok, so I can't copy link from SMS and put it to excel? I have to remeber and write the cool ebay link? Thank you. No multitasking? Oh, that means no surfing on the web with bluetooth mouse and keyboard driver on a device hooked to my mini led projector while listening to streaming mp3 music? Thank you. No CDMA? Sorry, my network uses 3G/UMTS for voice/video calls and CDMA for data transfer. Thank you. No tethering? Ok, so my uber 400$ device won't let me use my laptop to vpn to my network and check emails. Games? Xbox live is not even available in my area. So... what it CAN do? or better - can it do anything that my WinMo 6.1 device can't?

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Wow! So after they're finished with Windows Phone 7, are they going to make it run on x86 based machines like Android? ;-) What can they call it if they do???

Status
Not open for further replies.