Sound bar, Blue Tooth and headphones

dahermit

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
Being hard of hearing and the blaring TV bothering my wife, I have been searching for a way to connect headphones to my Panasonic Viera TV with only optical audio output (with no success so far...see my other posts).

It is my intention to buy a cheap sound bar with optical autdio input and Blue Tooth technology and listen to the TV via Blue Tooth headphones. But, it has occurred to me that I do not know if the sound bar speakers can be turned off while leaving the headphones on...which would not solve my problem.

Therefore, I need to know, is there a control or some means of shutting the speakers in the soundbar off while still having sound to the headphones? Or, am I barking up another wrong tree.

dahermit

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
How do I know that will work before I buy it? I have purchased three Toslink to RCA/headphone units (two recommended by experts on this site), and one headphone amplifier/converter (also recommended by one of the experts on this site) that did not work. In short, more money down a rat hole? How do I know it will work before I buy? Note: Panasonic only recommends I buy a home theater system with optical audio input and a headphone jack as the only solution.