Sound Bar Guidance Needed

born2run23

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Alright, so I've been wrestling with this soundbar issue for quite some time, and I figured it was time to involve some people more knowledgeable than me. I'll try to be as comprehensive and simultaneously brief as I can.

My fiancee and I recently moved in together to a great apartment. I was coming from a house with a 65 inch tv with an incredible surround system in the basement, translation, it was loud, it rumbled, and I loved it. Since then I've been faced with the reality that it would take me a number of years to save up the $ to build a similar sound system in my new place, which led me to the choice of a soundbar or a lower end surround system. I decided against the cheaper surround system as well, I've had bad experiences there.
So here's my setup. 60 inch Panasonic Viera TC-P60GT50 television, a DVR cablebox, and a PS3. I use the TV to stream Netflix, Hulu plus, etc... and the PS3 for blu-rays and gaming. I've also wanted to add an Apple TV, but I dunno, never wanted to dish the $100 for a product that is pretty superfluous.

Budget: $600 max, but would rather come in between $300-$500. I realize this puts me in the "mid-range" of sound bar options, to which I've done extensive research but just can't seem to be able to tell which one really is best.

What I want: SOUND!!! I love my TV but these speakers are just awful! I'm coming from an incredible surround system with great wall rattling bass. I obviously realize I won't be able to replicate that with a sound-bar, but I feel like with a $600 budget, I can get something good.

So, here's where I turn my trust over to you... I've done my research, products like the Sony HT-CT660 and the VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 both keep popping up as seemingly decent options at the low end of my budget which is attractive, but I know there are some superior sound bars out there that come in closer to the top end of my budget and I am very willing to purchase a $500 or $600 sound bar if it truly is superior. I am at your mercy, please help me!

Solution
Like Goodeggray said, Polk has fantastic speakers that can keep sound in its place and under control. Take a look at the Harman/Kardon SB 16. The Harmon/Kardmon are the same manufacturers that produce Crown Audio and JBL's. They are known for their low end, heavy bass sound, with a well controlled design. This setup will run you around the top end of your ideal budget at $499, but I believe it would be well worth it. Also take note that before you buy any speakers or sound equipment, make sure you test it out for yourself. You really need to hear the setup in person. Let me know what you decide to go with!

Harman Kardon SB 16 -...

AARental

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Like Goodeggray said, Polk has fantastic speakers that can keep sound in its place and under control. Take a look at the Harman/Kardon SB 16. The Harmon/Kardmon are the same manufacturers that produce Crown Audio and JBL's. They are known for their low end, heavy bass sound, with a well controlled design. This setup will run you around the top end of your ideal budget at $499, but I believe it would be well worth it. Also take note that before you buy any speakers or sound equipment, make sure you test it out for yourself. You really need to hear the setup in person. Let me know what you decide to go with!

Harman Kardon SB 16 - http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/SB-16/SB%2016_HK_US?skuId=SB%2016_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly&creative=29225761982?device=c&network=g&matchtype=e&gclid=CLGS9_rx17kCFaNxOgodqR0AqQ

Ben
Lead AV Tech, AARental.com

Solution