Sound bar noob

jballew7

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Hi everyone, so I'm a noob to home audio concerning tvs. I've never used any additional speakers other than what the tv has, as they've always satisfied me. But, my new Vizio is giving me some issues. The audio isnt necessarily bad per say but often it's difficult to make out dialog unless I crank the volume way up, but I have neighbors so I don't like doing this. I think this is because the speakers are facing the wall as they are on the rear of the tv. So, I think a sound bar would be a good solution as I assume the speakers project more towards the viewer. I found a 38in bar with a sub I like. But I wanted to see if anyone here can verify this would solve my problem before buying them. It's on Amazon so don't really have way of testing first.

Solution
Yea check the TV's audio settings first. If your TV has different audio settings to produce sound differently then it will be under audio in your TV menu.

Treble can help elevate high frequency sounds such as voice so maybe increase that. All Tvs should have some sort of audio adjustments you can tweak.

Elevating the sub would help floor vibrations but wont help the low level thump neighbors would hear if too loud.

Would have to look at the manual online if theres one to see if it has separate sub volume which it should you would think. Its one of those speakers that sometimes can't be left static depending on movie. Would probably find the volume button on the remote so if you can get a picture of one, take a close up of it looking...

boju

Distinguished
Sound bars are great for small spaces and are cheaper alternative to full blown theater systems and you're right thinking you'll hear more facing forward which you will. Keep in mind you'll need to be able to adjust the sub so make sure it has a volume level for it because that will annoy the neighbors with the doof doof if they're the quiet type.

If your TV has speakers situated at rear which most do then you could try use 3D sound, it might make the voices come through a little clearer.

jballew7

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Thx for the reply. 1 how do I use 3d audio? Is that a feature in the tv itself? 2. I was in dead concerned about the sub being on the floor and it's effect. I was thinking about elevating it and putting foam underneath. But do most subs have volume knobs on them or would I adjust in the tvs overall sound settings? Thanks again

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Try adjusting your tv speaker settings first.
You might be running too much bass, too little treble. Other settings that fake dolby or 3d or whatever can help or hurt things.
Otherwise a sound bar is the 1st step up from built in speakers, and should be a significant improvement especially on a cheap tv.

boju

Distinguished
Yea check the TV's audio settings first. If your TV has different audio settings to produce sound differently then it will be under audio in your TV menu.

Treble can help elevate high frequency sounds such as voice so maybe increase that. All Tvs should have some sort of audio adjustments you can tweak.

Elevating the sub would help floor vibrations but wont help the low level thump neighbors would hear if too loud.

Would have to look at the manual online if theres one to see if it has separate sub volume which it should you would think. Its one of those speakers that sometimes can't be left static depending on movie. Would probably find the volume button on the remote so if you can get a picture of one, take a close up of it looking for anything describing sub level/volume or similar.

Solution

jballew7

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Thanks for the help. I did find some more pics of the sub and it dosent look like it has a control on it but the remote with the system does have a bass button. I don't even really care for huge bass anyways but if it comes with it might as well use it. So long as I can turn it down. Also I'll definitely try adjusting the current settings as well when I get home. Didn't even think of trying that. Here the set up I was looking into purchasing.http://www.vizio.com/sb3821c6.html
Thanks again

boju

Distinguished
Thats alright your welcome. The bass button should influence the sub. You'd get a bit of bass coming through the other speakers as well but sub is meant for bass so you should be good to go with it if you decide to get it.