Sound Card/Amp for HD 558?

IceCreamRaider

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I have recently purchased Sennheiser HD 558 headphones mainly for gaming on my PC. I have not used higher quality headphones before, so while the sound is quite good in my opinion, it seems different.

I know that sound cards and/or amps can improve the sound quality of headphones. Is it a good idea for me to purchase such devices for my headphones? My motherboard is a Asus Z87-Plus so I am sure the on-board sound card is not the best quality.

Is there any sound card/amps you would recommend in my case? I think I would prefer external sound cards/amps since I am lack any skills my hands.

I have heard that the Creative Sound Blaster Z series are of good quality and they are external sound cards.

Solution

Okay.

Do you have a budget?

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Okay so, sound cards do not improve your sound at all. In fact its usually a total placebo, and it turns out your motherboard does what most sound cards do already, except the motherboard does it 5 times better.

Do you have a budget for AMPs?

IceCreamRaider

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

I did decide to purchase the Soundblaster Z that comes with an amp for my computer from Amazon, and installed it on my computer today. The SoundBlaster is much better than the on-board audio on my motherboard, it is not even close. I am not an audiophile but the sound is much clearer and more accurate on my speakers and headphones.

I am sorry but I have to disagree that sound cards are just placebos. It is making a big difference on my system.

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

Okay.

Do you have a budget?

Solution

IceCreamRaider

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

Everything is fine for me right now. I do not think these headphones need an Amp, though I am debating if I should try out the Dt 990s which may need an amp. If I get an amp it would probably be around $75-$125. I am not sure at this point as I am a bit low on extra $$$ for my toys.

Hmm, well you get a free best answer since I did not click on it. Haha!!!