sound card for pc to receiver

gerrydog65

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
I want to connect my pc to a 7.1 receiver for a home theater using Kodi to play the media.
I would like to know if I should let the receiver process or sound card process signal ?
I would like to know if the receiver is better to process what card to use ?
If card is better any recommendations ?
I would prefer a pci card because my open pci-e is very close to my graphics card fans.(GTX760)
Motherboard MSI X58M running win 10
Im looking at a Yamaha RX-V577 as a receiver but not solid on it.

Thanks All

Solution
HDMI from your GPU to the receiver, and then HDMI out from the receiver to your TV or monitor and let the receiver decode everything.

gerrydog65

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016

Thank You so much
Didn't take you long lol
Thanks for saving me a few bucks too :bounce:

at this time of day, forum members can be like ninjas. (there is a quick drop down of new threads so its easy to pick up on new threads easy if you're idling on the site)

i will confirm.. hdmi out of your gpu would be the better course of action. if you use a 120hz monitor you may want to run just hdmi out as an audio signal to the receiver instead of using passthrough. otherwise, i'd just use passthrough.

hdmi allows for uncompressed audio. optical is limited to 2.0 uncompressed or compressed surround sound if both devices support it.

using an x58 board with hdmi output on my gtx770 to a receiver in pc->receiver-tv arrangement. have been for years, it works great. if you need help looking at speakers you can also ask for input here.