Sound distortion until changing the volume

atinon

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Greetings.
Let me begin by telling you that I have both a laptop and a PC - I usually use the laptop which is a Dell Latitude D830. Yesterday I received my new headphones - Thermaltake Shock Black. These are a decent pair of headphones with pretty good sound quality. When I plug them into the laptop, everything is fine until I turn some music on. At first, the sound is distorted, low volume and bad quality at whatever song I try to play. The audio fixes as soon as I either increase or decrease the volume - it works perfectly after. It's not because of the music player - I've tried several, including online websites such as Youtube and Soundcloud. I've also talked on Skype with these headphones yesterday and the sound seemed very good even without changing the volume. Furthermore, when I plug the headphones into the PC everything works fine - both Skype and the Music.

P.S. - I used some normal/common headphones before and I didn't seem to notice that problem.

UPDATE: I just uninstalled the Sigmatel drivers that I had isntalled and rolled back to the ones that Windows 7 installs. "High Definition Audio Device" or something of that sort. With these drivers the audio is perfect, there is no distortion and stuff... But here comes the problem - I can't use the headphone's microphone because, without the Sigmatel audio driver, the line-in for the microphone is red-ish and doesn't record any sound I make. That was the reason in the first place for me to install the Sigmatel driver [It was the recommended driver on the Dell website.] So, my guess is, that it's some kind of a driver problem. Any suggestions? Sources?

bmwmaniac

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
It could be a dust issue where you plug the headphones and where you adjust the volume.

atinon

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
UPDATE: I just uninstalled the Sigmatel drivers that I had isntalled and rolled back to the ones that Windows 7 installs. "High Definition Audio Device" or something of that sort. With these drivers the audio is perfect, there is no distortion and stuff... But here comes the problem - I can't use the headphone's microphone because, without the Sigmatel audio driver, the line-in for the microphone is red-ish and doesn't record any sound I make. That was the reason in the first place for me to install the Sigmatel driver [It was the recommended driver on the Dell website.] So, my guess is, that it's some kind of a driver problem. Any suggestions? Sources?