Sound only works on one ear. Weird problem.

czeshirecat

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Windows 8.1
My dog jumped off my desk ripping my headphones off my head and out of the jackplugs (Realtek motherboard soundcard) from the front of my pc. I plugged it back in and found that only one ear worked. So naturally I thought the headset was knackered.
Fiddling with the wires, there's no crackle noises so I plugged in a set of spare earplugs and have the same problem with those.
I then plugged in a spare sennheiser USB sound card and tried it with both headsets and I was astounded to find that, again, I'm only getting sound on a single ear.
I fiddle with the realtek dashboard and windows sound levels etc but everything seems ok. There's no extra dashboard for the sennheiser, it's the basic Windows control panel.
So that's 2 different devices showing the same problem and I'm posting this before I go to my Windows 10 partition to see if I have the same problem with that.

Im baffled. What can I do next? It makes me think there's some shared setting between all sound devices somewhere that got set when the violent removal of the wire happened but I don't know where to look.

czeshirecat

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I tried 2 head sets. Typical that on both headsets the same ear wasnt working! It was the head set. That'll teach me not to throw broken things away.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Audio 1
F Audio 0
TheSLIP Audio 0
HoomanSacrifice Audio 12
B Audio 5
R Audio 1
S Audio 1
kobinath Audio 1
Kynai Audio 2
A Audio 2
S Audio 1