Sound problem connection Samsung YHT-1810 to Samsung LED tv

verdunite

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
I am new to this forum and hope that someone can help with a problem I am experiencing.

I have a Yamaha YHT 1810 attached via HDMI to a Samsung 55 inch LED but do not get any sound when watching TV. The picture comes through clearly but no sound. I do get sound when listening to the tuner or streaming music through the Audio 4 connection.

The Audio Input on the Yamaha only gives Audio 1-5 options but it would seem to make more sense to have it set to HDMI. Does this sound reasonable?

The TV audio is set to TV as opposed to external speaker as the manual says this way the sound will come from both components.

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated as I have spent a great deal of time on this problem and am getting quite frustrated!

Thanks for reading.

Solution
If your TV has an HDMI input that is labeled ARC (audio return channel) then that is the one you should use for the Yamaha. You may need to turn this feature on in the TV and Yamaha menus and select it when needed.
If the TV doesn't have ARC then you will need to add an audio cable from the TV to the Yamaha. The Yamaha has all three kinds (digital coax, digital optical, and analog) so use the one that the TV has (probably optical).
If your TV has an HDMI input that is labeled ARC (audio return channel) then that is the one you should use for the Yamaha. You may need to turn this feature on in the TV and Yamaha menus and select it when needed.
If the TV doesn't have ARC then you will need to add an audio cable from the TV to the Yamaha. The Yamaha has all three kinds (digital coax, digital optical, and analog) so use the one that the TV has (probably optical).

Solution

verdunite

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
Thanks for the information. I had tried all of the options including the optical cable but it turns out the problem was with a faulty cable box which I have now swapped out and the problem resolved.
Thanks very much for your help.