Sound stopped playing through my Pioneer Unit

swoo

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung UN55HU6830 TV, and a Pioneer VSX-517. Because this unit is a bit dated, it does not have an HDMI pass through like newer units, and thus I have just been using the Audio Out port on the back of the T.V and plugged it into one of the Audio In ports on the back of the pioneer unit. It had worked just fine for forever it seems like until last night when I tried to use it, I got no sound. Even isolated the sound to the "Audio Out" there was nothing. I should note I do use an Xbox One, and last night I did plug in the Xbox One into the ARC HDMI-4 port. I am not sure if an update to the TV occurred and I am missing something or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the receiver working on another source (ie FM radio or your phone)? If it doesn't then you it sounds like the receiver is the problem.
If it does work on other sources then check the TV audio menu to see if there is a way to turn off the ARC (which is of no use to your Xbox One) or to turn on the audio output again.
You can also check the input set up menu of the receiver to make sure that it is still set to the correct connection for the input you assigned to the TV audio output.

swoo

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for your reply!
After checking the FM input, I do still get radio and sound through that. So it appears that the receiver works just fine. I have checked the TV settings and nothing seems to be able to turn off the ARC mode. As I said, it was working just fine a few days ago, and all of the sudden it doesn't. My girlfriend did use a pair of blutooth headphones to watch a movie the other day, but they are off and it doesn't appear that there is an active connection there. I suppose I could get a optical cable, but if my way worked, I would hate to spend money.