soundbar not working

cjhuck27

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Recently purchased an insignia soundbar for my TV. The TV is a 55" LCD Vidao which is a brand made by Haier. I bought a coax digital cable for the back of the tv since the coax and the headphone jack are the only audio outs on the tv. However when I connect the headphone jack to the soundbar via rca cables, there is a constant hum that occurs. I then tried the digital coax out port on the back of the tv which then splint into two cable which i assumed were for the red and white rca cables to go back into the soundbar. however there is barley and sound that comes out of the soundbar after I plugged it in. I changed the inputs on the tv and soundbar to the correct ones. Also there is a optical cable for the soundbar but no optical out for the tv. Im at a loss here. Hoping it is not the tv digital coax out that is busted. Please help

Solution
If both the soundbar and TV have 3 prong AC cords you could use a 3 to 2 ground lifter on the soundbar AC cord which should eliminate the ground loop that is causing the noise when you use the headphone out on the TV.
The digital output is not compatible with 2 RCA analog audio inputs even though the connectors are the same. You could use a DAC to convert the coax to analog but I would convert the coax digital to optical digital with one of these
https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40018-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0002J2MV4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469208291&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+audio+coax+to+optical
and use the optical input on the soundbar. You may need to change the audio output type in the TV audio menu so it's compatible with the...
If both the soundbar and TV have 3 prong AC cords you could use a 3 to 2 ground lifter on the soundbar AC cord which should eliminate the ground loop that is causing the noise when you use the headphone out on the TV.
The digital output is not compatible with 2 RCA analog audio inputs even though the connectors are the same. You could use a DAC to convert the coax to analog but I would convert the coax digital to optical digital with one of these
https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40018-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0002J2MV4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469208291&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+audio+coax+to+optical
and use the optical input on the soundbar. You may need to change the audio output type in the TV audio menu so it's compatible with the soundbar.

Solution