Soundbar won't work with receiver.

Hurtlock3r

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
I just purchased a new Samsung HW-K650 soundbar and can't seem to get audio out of it when using my pioneer receiver. My TV doesn't support ARC but I'm pretty sure using optical cable would work.

Tv: Samsung LNT5271FX/XAA
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-822

The connection: I have an optical cable going from the TV to the SoundBar. And the HDMI from the TV to the HDMI out of the receiver. I have my cable box connected to the HDMI 1 in the receiver. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a link showing the setup. The issue is if i plug the optical cable from the TV to Receiver then i can't use it for the SoundBar. Connection Overview

Solution
Going through the TV won't work.
Connect the soundbar to the TV with ARC or optical. Make sure that the TV is set correctly (ARC on if you used it or optical out on TV speakers off for the optical out). Select this correct input on the soundbar for TV sounds.
Connect the front speaker out of the receiver to a speaker to line level adapter like this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
Connect the adapter RCA output to the aux input on the soundbar. Select this input for the receiver. Set the receiver to stereo. If the volume of the receiver is too loud it will cause distortion on the soundbar regardless of how loud the soundbar is set to play.

Hurtlock3r

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

The optical cable is brand new, it came with the soundbar. I don't know how to tell the receiver to choose the optical cable :??:

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
The tv should default to the sound bar for its audio if you've put the optical cable between it and the sound bar. Make sure on your sound bar that you've chosen the D.IN setting. Page 19 of the manual goes in to how to set up the optical in/out.

Going through the TV won't work.
Connect the soundbar to the TV with ARC or optical. Make sure that the TV is set correctly (ARC on if you used it or optical out on TV speakers off for the optical out). Select this correct input on the soundbar for TV sounds.
Connect the front speaker out of the receiver to a speaker to line level adapter like this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
Connect the adapter RCA output to the aux input on the soundbar. Select this input for the receiver. Set the receiver to stereo. If the volume of the receiver is too loud it will cause distortion on the soundbar regardless of how loud the soundbar is set to play.

Solution