Soundbase fitted now no sound

jonty924

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
I'm 84, bought a new Sony HT XT 100 soundbase and thought it was just a case of connecting to the TV. I did this and switched on the remote which gave sound but nothing different from just using TV sound. Having no manual I just kept pressing remote buttons in an attempt to get this exciting new sound I'd heard about - result no sound at all from the sound base! How do I put this right and is it necessary to get an engineer to set the thing up?

If you connected it with an HDMI cable then you have to make sure it is connected the HDMI input on the TV labeled ARC (audio return channel) and to turn this feature on in the TV menu.
Then select that on the soundbass. You can then turn the TV volume all the way down or turn the speakers off in the TV audio menu.
If you used the analog connection then you would have to select that input on the soundbase and may have to go into the TV audio menu to turn off the TV speakers or select fixed output and then turn the TV speakers all the way down.
Since you say you got it working at the start you just may not feel that there is much improvement.