Soundcard connected to TV, but no sound

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
I am having a dilemma. I am connecting my HDTV's speakers to my newly built HTPC's sound card using a digital audio cable, but there is no sound. I'm very inexperienced with home audio, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

My soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX 7.1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102063&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

boju

Distinguished
You are using optical? Make sure the TV has an optical in and not out as some only have out if they have HDMI. If its an optical input, just need to enable S/PDIF either through Window's Audio Playback Devices or in Creative's Audio Software.

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
Yeah, it's optical out on both my TV and sound card. Any suggestions on how to hook up my soundcard to my TV without optical input?

boju

Distinguished
Yea sure, there's a couple of ways to get sound through the TV. If your graphics card in the HTPC has HDMI, it will have sound. Im guessing you're using that connection to get a display on the TV?

JumJumJR

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
I'm using a AMD apu with onboard graphics, but the mobo I'm using has a HDMI port. Will it make any difference?

And excuse the stupid question, but if I'm connecting through my mobo's HDMI port, won't I be using onboard sound instead of my soundcard?

boju

Distinguished
The dilemma you're facing is since the TV doesn't have an optical in, your only choice for sound from the sound card is using the standard audio jacks which means changing the TV channel. That wont work obviously.

There are only two real options, either use the APU's sound, not 100% sure but think it does have. Or get a surround sound unit with optical in so you can use the sound card which means avoiding the TV speakers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Audio 1
P Audio 0
Sound guy Audio 1
HarryGRGamer Audio 0
V Audio 4
Nonamekeke Audio 0
C Audio 1
S Audio 2
W Audio 8
G Audio 1
M Audio 8