Spare Speaker Amplifiers

oO_Sketch_Oo

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
Greetings,

I currently four speakers in my possession; two 5w, and two 15w, all 8ohms. I would like to know if I could utilize a dual output 20w Amplifier Board in order to have all four speakers running. If not, is there a better way to use these speakers?. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
E. Bub

Solution
It is unclear if the speakers you have are amplified or non-amplified. If they are non-amplified then the 5W and 15W are maximum power recommendations. If they are amplified then you wouldn't need an additional amplifier.

Assuming they are non-amplified then putting a 5W and 15W in parallel (both red wires to the red post on the amp and both black wires to the black post) would be like putting a 4ohm load on the amp. You don't say what the MINIMUM impedance the amp is rated. It might be 8ohm it might be 4ohm. You need to find out. If it is rated for 4ohm load, then you could run all 4 speakers at once from a two output amp.

kanewolf

Judicious
It is unclear if the speakers you have are amplified or non-amplified. If they are non-amplified then the 5W and 15W are maximum power recommendations. If they are amplified then you wouldn't need an additional amplifier.

Assuming they are non-amplified then putting a 5W and 15W in parallel (both red wires to the red post on the amp and both black wires to the black post) would be like putting a 4ohm load on the amp. You don't say what the MINIMUM impedance the amp is rated. It might be 8ohm it might be 4ohm. You need to find out. If it is rated for 4ohm load, then you could run all 4 speakers at once from a two output amp.

Solution