Question Speaker Noise through all I/O's of this computer. Issue replicated on Headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2020
There is a constant crackling sound through my speakers when it is connected with the computer. This issue is mildly replicated on my headphones as well.

• This issue persists with some reduction in noise when connected to the monitor (which is an HDMI connection directly to GPU)
  • This is not isolated to just the speakers, headphones also replicate this issue.
  • I have tried to disable and uninstall almost all drivers in isolation to validate. I have also tried latency software's and there was no significant variance found.
At this point I am wondering if there is something wrong with my new MB. (ASUS TUF GAMING XT570 PLUS)

Disclaimer: I built the PC. Potential for errors.

Does any has any direction on how to troubleshoot this issue? Much appreciated.

Speakers = KRK Rokit 8 (2011)
PSU = ThermalTake ToughP DPS G 650W Gold
MB = ASUS TUF GAMING XT570 PLUS
Monitor = LG 27GL850 (no integrated speakers)
GPU =Asus RTX2070 SUPER Dual O8G EVO

Win 10 new install - built the system couple weeks ago.
MB Bios UPDATED

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020
Thank you for the reply.
Speakers = KRK Rokit 8 (2011)
PSU = ThermalTake ToughP DPS G 650W Gold
MB = ASUS TUF GAMING XT570 PLUS
Monitor = LG 27GL850 (no integrated speakers)
GPU =Asus RTX2070 SUPER Dual O8G EVO

Win 10 new install - built the system couple weeks ago.
MB Bios UPDATED

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Are you using the latest driver directly from the ASUS site? Have you updated ALL drivers? Don't trust W10 to do this. Update the chipset, onboard video, USB, LAN, wireless drivers. If the issue persists, RMA the board. Also consider using a dedicated high-end audio card, if case space allows.

Of course you had to reinstall windows with your new MOBO. The only way you could "reinstall" Windows with a new MOBO is if the old installation was with a MOBO with identical chipset. Otherwise, you would have to purchase another activation code. I ASSume this is a new copy of WIN10 loaded with the new MOBO.

Are you talking about a low level hum when there is no sound actively going on and then you can't hear it anymore when there is something playing or is there a noise even with other sounds? Could be a grounding issue in the case or with the sound card, or speakers.

Jul 12, 2020
Thank you for the replies.

@Sonic Illusions

I updated all the drivers as soon as I finished the build. You are right, it is a new WIn 10 copy (yet to be activated) which I installed on the MOBO. I am afraid a dedicated sound card may not solve this noise. Why? because it exists on all IO, including the case and the monitor (which is connected via HDMI to VGA). The noise is however reduced through the monitor IO but it is the exact same noise. This noise also can be replicated if the tip of the 3.5mm jack is touched on any IO's (USB, HDMI, VGA, Headphones etc).

@hang-the-9

It is not exactly a low level hum. It is more like crackling noise with some kinda static. This issue disappears when the computer is switched off or goes to sleep. It almost feels like it is radio interference or something. I have tried disabling the bluetooth and network drivers without success, however it seems it reacts to the motion of my bluetooth mouse. super weird.

Appreciate the help.

Thank you for the replies.

@Sonic Illusions

I updated all the drivers as soon as I finished the build. You are right, it is a new WIn 10 copy (yet to be activated) which I installed on the MOBO. I am afraid a dedicated sound card may not solve this noise. Why? because it exists on all IO, including the case and the monitor (which is connected via HDMI to VGA). The noise is however reduced through the monitor IO but it is the exact same noise. This noise also can be replicated if the tip of the 3.5mm jack is touched on any IO's (USB, HDMI, VGA, Headphones etc).

@hang-the-9

It is not exactly a low level hum. It is more like crackling noise with some kinda static. This issue disappears when the computer is switched off or goes to sleep. It almost feels like it is radio interference or something. I have tried disabling the bluetooth and network drivers without success, however it seems it reacts to the motion of my bluetooth mouse. super weird.

Appreciate the help.

You can try an external USB sound card, if it's coming from interference in the computer case that will remove that option. Probably the cheapest one I would get that is considered good is the FX Audio DAC-X6, especially if you are using powered external speakers and also have headphones (without a mic).

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
An external (or internal) sound card as mentioned above would isolate the problem. The I/O's you mentioned on the MOBO I/O panel or case front connectors would not be used (the case audio cable connects to the internal sound card or MOBO header). If you also have a sound card from a previous build and it's compatible with W10, you may be able to use it for troubleshooting. Just remember to disable onboard audio in the BIOS.

Here's a thought: check the MOBO to see if the onboard audio requires an additional power connector. I've seen this for things like CPU overclocking. Also, many nicer internal cards do require a dedicated connection to the power supply. Just a thought. I'd look at the MOBO manual, but am out of time. Good luck!

Jul 12, 2020
Thanks fellas. So I went ahead and tried a Scarlett 2i4 DAC and found out that this issue still persists on the speakers (however it is almost non existent on the headphones, I really have to listen in with complete quiet). It's almost there is noise flowing through every output. I am going to try the suggestion to disable onboard audio in BIOS.

Have a good night.

UPDATE: Disabled MOBO audio, still the same noise. It almost feels like it reacts to mouse movement or when the CPU light blinks on front of the PC.

Did you try other mice, wired ones? Try other speakers? Could be something with your USB ports. Maybe you have a grounding issue or something with the wiring in the case. Are the motherboard stand-offs installed and in the right place? No wires in the wrong place?

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
'Sounds' like an RMA situation. When you disabled onboard audio and connected the speakers to the DAC and still have an issue, that's a problem. The MOBO standoffs can provide critical grounding, as mentioned above. If they're all there, be sure they're tight. Anything beyond that, consider returning the MOBO. I'm an ASUS ROG fan and almost all of the systems I've built were ASUS. I've gotten lucky; the only board I had to RMA was a GIGABYTE.

Aug 27, 2020
I’m so happy to have found this thread. I’m experiencing the exact same issues down to the letter. It’s ugly- when I crank the volume all the way up on my amp, I can hear EVERY sound the processor/GPU/fans are making. This is through onboard audio or an external USB DAC. Even when there is no audio output connected to the MOBO, this digital noise bleeds backwards from the DisplayPort cable, into the monitor, out a secondary HDMI input cable and into the amp.

Were you ever able to figure it out? Was it your PSU? I’m starting to fear RMA as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.