Speaker & subwoofer volume decreasing as I increase crossover in ASUS audio center?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
For those of you who have the xonar essence stx sound card, you know that the ASUS audio center has a "FlexBass" section that can be used to control crossover. However, for some reason, the higher I set the crossover setting, the lower the volume of my speakers and sub get. Since the STX does not have a dedicated subwoofer jack, I had to connect my speakers and sub in the following way:

*RCA cable from STX output jacks to subwoofer input jacks.
*RCA cable from subwoofer output jacks to speaker input jacks.

Could my setup have something to do with it? If any more information is needed, tell me.

Solution
From the manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414986/Asus-Xonar-Dgx.html?page=44

"6.6 Fle�Bass FlexBass, an advanced bass management and enhancement mechanism, allows you to select each satellite speaker's type for optimal sound performance from the speakers. (Small: common speaker that cannot produce low frequencies; Large: wide-band speakers that can produce low frequencies well). It comes with an adjustable crossover frequency for the boundary of the bass signals. FlexBass will filter out the bass signals from small speaker channels and redirect them all to the subwoofer or Large speakers."

Does the last sentence cover or otherwise address what you are experiencing?
From the manual:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414986/Asus-Xonar-Dgx.html?page=44

"6.6 Fle�Bass FlexBass, an advanced bass management and enhancement mechanism, allows you to select each satellite speaker's type for optimal sound performance from the speakers. (Small: common speaker that cannot produce low frequencies; Large: wide-band speakers that can produce low frequencies well). It comes with an adjustable crossover frequency for the boundary of the bass signals. FlexBass will filter out the bass signals from small speaker channels and redirect them all to the subwoofer or Large speakers."

Does the last sentence cover or otherwise address what you are experiencing?

Solution

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Oops, seems like I forgot to post an update. I eventually figured out what the problem was. Since my setup involves sound going from the output jacks of my STX to the input jacks of my sub, and then through the output jacks of my sub to the input jacks of my speakers, increasing the crossover to a setting such as 250hz was preventing both my sub and speakers from receiving frequencies below 250hz. All of the frequencies below 250hz were literally being "eliminated". It wasn't that the volume of my sub was decreasing, it was that my subwoofer was incapable of playing those high frequency noises, which made it seem like the volume had been decreased. As for my speakers, it wasn't that their volume was decreasing either, it was that the midbass had been eliminated, which decreased the "amount" of sounds that my speakers were playing and created the illusion of lowered volume. I fixed the issue by turning FlexBass off, so now both my subwoofer and speakers receive the high and low frequencies of audio, but it doesn't matter that the sub is receiving high frequencies since it can't play them to begin with. Hopefully that made sense.