speakers and microphones

henry2911

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
is there a microphone that i could use along side some speakers? i would have the speakers behind the mic and i would need it for voip and games

Solution
"If you are just doing voip and games you may get some of the speaker getting picked up, but not if it is not too loud. You are fine there. If you were planning on doing more with it then I would go the other route and use headphones or place it away from the speakers." previous thread.

I really think you will be fine with the blue snowball. It is designed for podcasts and the like and if you are not blasting the speakers it will work just fine. For the little bit that will be picked up I don't think it will be noticeable. My only concern previously was if you were recording the speakers would end up in your recording. For what you are doing this is a good mic.

katalyst12

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
"If you are just doing voip and games you may get some of the speaker getting picked up, but not if it is not too loud. You are fine there. If you were planning on doing more with it then I would go the other route and use headphones or place it away from the speakers." previous thread.

I really think you will be fine with the blue snowball. It is designed for podcasts and the like and if you are not blasting the speakers it will work just fine. For the little bit that will be picked up I don't think it will be noticeable. My only concern previously was if you were recording the speakers would end up in your recording. For what you are doing this is a good mic.

Solution

henry2911

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014

oh okay thank you i just got the impression that the mic wasn't gonna be good for the voip, thankyou again

katalyst12

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

No problem. I am a recording engineer by trade so I am always looking to minimize all noise to get the best recordings. For what you are doing with it the blue is a perfect choice.

a cardioid pickup pattern microphone would be ideal as it would help eliminate pickup from the rear. the blue snowball and atr2500 both have this.

be careful of feedback loop! if you have your system set to play microphone audio live as you record on your speakers you can quite quickly get a loud surprise. if you do not have your pc set to play recorded audio from the microphone live, this will not be much of a problem.

it would be better if your speakers were to the sides and behind, not directly behind the mic if possible.

the snowball is a good mic. the atr2500usb is another.

as long as you keep volume fairly quiet or low levels while using the mic you shouldnt have big issues. if you have your volume at medium to high levels you might start having some noticible issues though.