Question Speakers Constantly Showing Red X

Dec 22, 2020
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3585 and the speakers in the taskbar down beside the date/time keep showing a red X on them. I've tried to run through the windows troubleshooter, and it tells me that the speakers are unplugged. This is a laptop, and I could be wrong, but I think the sound card would be embedded with the motherboard, so I'd rather not open the laptop casing. I have also opened device manager, uninstalled the driver, and rebooted, but as soon as windows starts up the red X is back. Lastly, I also went to the Dell website, entered my Service Tag # and downloaded the driver for RealTekAudio, and at the end of the installation it said to reboot. Even after rebooting the red X is still showing over sound.

I have updated the BIOS, updated the Chipset.

What additional steps can I try to see if sound will work?

BTW - this is a new laptop straight out of box, I have installed all Windows updates, and only installed Chrome, Notepad++ and Minecraft.

Last edited:

AlHuneke

Notable
Jul 7, 2020
Since it is a new laptop, your first stop ought to be calling Dell support. Did the speakers ever work? If the speakers have never worked you will likely need to send it back for repair. Don't open it up or you will void your warranty.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop Tech Support 0
hansenb88 Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 4
X Laptop Tech Support 9
J Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 1
PhoenixFlock Laptop Tech Support 1
WadeCastle Laptop Tech Support 0
LeeView Laptop Tech Support 1
dclxvi13 Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 2