Speakers without a tower

D3adHead

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Hey guys, so here I got a Phillips MCM720 Micro system and the problem is that the tower (receiver) had gone full retard and doesn't work anymore. However, the speakers (2 way bass reflex) work perfectly fine, I just got those red and black vires without a possibility to use them. Is there any way to make them play again? Without a receiver? Or perhaps using something much smaller which could be compatible a play music from my phone, SD card? I don't have any CD's anymore so it would be no use to buy a new original receiver. Thanks for the answers.

ssddx

Glorious
what you're looking for is the wattage and impedance of the speakers and not anything about inputs.

for example the wattage will be rated like 40w, 40watt or 40w RMS or similar. the impedance will be listed in ohms or this symbol Ω. for example it will be 2Ω/2ohm, 4Ω/4ohm, 6Ω/6ohm or 8Ω/8ohm.

sometimes this is not listed for the speakers and instead it lists the amplifiers output (which will be in watts like above) and also list impedance. this would also work.

given the specs on such units are generally far overrated anyways.. a cheap amp like a lepai 2020a would probably work. getting the information is more of a formality to make sure.

ssddx

Glorious
you will need a stereo amplifier. most of them take 3.5mm or rca red/white inputs. depending on output, some are quite cheap priced.

as far as what size amplifier that depends on the speakers and what wattage they are rated for at what impedance. i dont have time right now to look that information up so i'll let you look for it and post back.

biggest thing is hoping they arent low impedance 2 ohm speakers. if they are 4 - 6 or 8 it would be easier to find an amp.

D3adHead

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Input sensitivity
Aux in (at 1kHz) : 500mV at 600 ohm
CDR in (at 1kHz) : 1000mV at 600 ohm

Output sensitivity
Headphone output at 32 ohm : 15mW ± 2dB (Max. vol.)
CD Headphone output at 32 ohm : 5mW ± 2dB (Max. vol.)

Hope this is what you wanted, if not, just tell me and I'll look again.

ssddx

Glorious
what you're looking for is the wattage and impedance of the speakers and not anything about inputs.

for example the wattage will be rated like 40w, 40watt or 40w RMS or similar. the impedance will be listed in ohms or this symbol Ω. for example it will be 2Ω/2ohm, 4Ω/4ohm, 6Ω/6ohm or 8Ω/8ohm.

sometimes this is not listed for the speakers and instead it lists the amplifiers output (which will be in watts like above) and also list impedance. this would also work.

given the specs on such units are generally far overrated anyways.. a cheap amp like a lepai 2020a would probably work. getting the information is more of a formality to make sure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Audio 2
C Audio 1
H Audio 3
S Audio 1
C Audio 6
R Audio 3
B Audio 1
B Audio 2
C Audio 2
I Audio 6
P Audio 1