Special car charger part for laptop

focaner

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I want to get a car charger for my old Lenovo T61 laptop, but genuine ones are impossible to buy and the third-party versions apparently blow your car's fuses sometimes.

I already have a standard 90W 20V charger for the laptop, which consists of two cords: A wall plug ending in one of those two-pronged rubber cables that the original Xbox and PS2 used for power cords, and an adapter which that two-pronged cable plugs into. (See image.)

I figure if I can replace the wall output cable on the left of the picture with a car power outlet cable which ends in those same two prongs, I can just use my existing adapter. But I have no clue what this type of two-pronged plug is called, so I haven't had any luck searching. Any ideas?

(By the way, I have also used a 65W 20V charger with no problems.)

focaner

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Ah good point, that'll probably be easier to find. Can I assume that as long as the product in question supports at least 90W (my laptop's supposed max output), it won't blow my car's fuses? So, is, say, this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001539B7O/
sufficient to use safely? Apparently the max power usage for my laptop is supposed to be 90W, 4.5 Amps -- aka 20 volts.