Spectre 360 with intel Hd 520 graphics for video editing??

Julia_32

Prominent
May 1, 2017
spectre 360 with intel hd 520 graphics

Overall a great laptop, except for the lack of a dedicated gpu.

I am trying to understand if it is enough to run software like adobe premiere/photoshop/illustrator.

WHAT I USE IT FOR:

I do basic video editing for home videos and pictures. The basics transition effects, menu options, slow motion, voiceover, music etc but as I said, it's not my main occupation, nor I have too long pieces of footage to put together.

I guess I am so worried about gpu because when I was younger I used to play sims3 and I remember my gpu never being good enough, and we always had to upgrade and stuff. Obviously sims is no longer my main concern , however I read that the lack of a dedicated gpu could affect some software like adobe premiere or photoshop , while others say that for basic video editing will be fine.

SPECS
I love this laptop, 4k display, 512 gb ssd , i7 7h gen processor, 16gb ram, convertible and touch screen.

any suggestions?

As unit of comparison I am using my 4yo samsung np350v5c which has always run pretty smoothly but had AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M dedicated Graphics.
however it only had 8gb ram, no ssd, no 4k and an old i7-3630QM Processor.
For what I use the computer for, it was a pretty good laptop to be honest. It's done its time though, and I need to buy a new one, but I don't want to downgrade from it, so I'm trying to understand if the performance of the spectre 360 will be comparable or better, even without the integrated graphic card, considering the video editing and my photoshop passion.

Again, does not have to be THE best just enough to not want to pull my hair out everytime I edit something.

Please advise, any suggestion will be muuch appreciated

Solution

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
it is actually able and could have been said enough, you can still edit video but for sure in terms of video editing when rendering, im pretty sure the duration it took to render would be longer compared to quad core processor. which model are you actually planned to get? is it the x360 15-bl075nr? that model is the closest based on your description and it also has 940mx. if you want to save some more money, you can actually get another laptop with i5 and dedicated gpu, don't think it affect a lot as the i7 dual core usually only have like slightly more feature, cache and slight higher clock though.

Julia_32

Prominent
May 1, 2017

thank you for your reply,
Well, I think the one you are mentioning with the dedicated graphics it is the more expensive one (1500 bucks) which is honestly way too much for me. So I was trying to understand how bad it would be to get the one without the dedicated graphics. I hear many different opinions, last night at Microsoft store, the guy told me that no dedciated gpu is fine in my case, the computer is a very good one, and what is most important is cpu and ram which in this laptop are pretty good.
I am not expecting to put together movies with crazy special effects, its not a big deal if it renders a little slower., as long as it is not impossible to work with.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

so far integrated graphics of kaby lake i series is good, i have a laptop with i5-7200u which have intel hd 620, doing good job even with an external monitor. dedicated graphics on video editing usually do like some kind of hardware acceleration but how so ever it shouldn't be a big problem. for sure dual core is not designed for 4k rendering, but integrated graphics on intel kaby lake can do 4k playback, so no worries about watching 4k content

Solution