Spilled water on laptop - help please

chris96993

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014
A water bottle tipped and spilled on the top right area where the speakers are, it wasn't full but a decent amount got there. I grabbed a towel and wiped all surface waters laptop was off.

2 hours later when I came back home the laptop keyboard wasn't working properly. Many keys would trigger a second key to be be typed, many didn't respond, and some would press themselves.

I opened the back and unscrewed the keyboard, couldn't see any water, was softly blow drying (mistake).

I left the laptop.open upside down for 2 days, the keyboard situation got slightly better, the whole qwerty row works but many keys don't, about half. At least No more keys pressing by themselves.

At this point do I have to pay and take it to the shop? Not sure if just ordering a new keyboard will fix anything. Any and all advice is very appreciated, thanks for reading

Solution
If it ever happens again, cover the affected parts with uncooked rice. It's ability to absorb liquid is legendary.

Now your circumstances. It's possible the keyboard's ribbon cable got wet so gently ease it out of the brass connector, run your fingers along it and reseat it. If you have a USB or Bluetooth keyboard, they will work even if the built-in board is removed completely.
If it ever happens again, cover the affected parts with uncooked rice. It's ability to absorb liquid is legendary.

Now your circumstances. It's possible the keyboard's ribbon cable got wet so gently ease it out of the brass connector, run your fingers along it and reseat it. If you have a USB or Bluetooth keyboard, they will work even if the built-in board is removed completely.

Solution

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Actually, the first thing you have to do when liquid is in a laptop is remove the battery, first and foremost the most important thing you can do.

The rice thing can work, but doesn't work as well as something similar to what you did already, remove the top and use a hair dryer on low setting to dry up the water.

The Rice thing is for people who don't know what they are really doing, and can't disassemble their electronic device, more for phones than aything else.

The amount of TV's I have had to repair due to water damage, but as stated, remove any for of electric/battery, and dry it out once you have taken what you can out of it to get in there.