Spilt Coffee on Macbook

Andrew Anonymous

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
Hi guys, I'm a pc guy myself so i know next to nothing about macbooks. My GF spilt some coffee on the keypad for her macbook. I quickly cleaned it up and turned off the macbook. While I was out thinking crisis was adverted she turned the macbook back on and plugged in the magsafe, She managed to knock out the magsafe and since then the macbook hasnt turned on. She told me that the battery was on 3% or so, so I'm not sure if the macbook just went flat or if she short circuited something.

Anyways after that and i decided to open up the macbook and have a look, was a bit dirty inside but other wise dry. There was what appeared to be some coffee residue on the logic board, like not even a drops worth near the battery section of the logic board; opposite side to the vents where i'd assume the coffee would have penetrated. I know I'm probably just being optimistic as even the slightest bit of water dmg in the wrong place could short circuit the logic board but I'm still hopeful.

I have no way to diagnose it atm so all I can say is
It doesnt turn on at all, no signs of life and after charging it for awhile the magsafe went from amber to green. If i unplug the battery the magsafe stays green for a few seconds then turns back to amber.
Thanks in advanced,
Andrew

Solution
Since the power button is part of the keyboard it is most likely just the keyboard has been fried. I have seen this many times.
To test, there is a way to start the MacBook by shorting 2 points on the logic board. See this page on how to do that:
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-locating-power-on-pads/

If it starts, you can be fairly sure it is the keyboard. Although a complicated repair, it is actually cheap to replace a keyboard and anyone with patience and a good guide (like found on ifixit.com) can do it.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Since the power button is part of the keyboard it is most likely just the keyboard has been fried. I have seen this many times.
To test, there is a way to start the MacBook by shorting 2 points on the logic board. See this page on how to do that:
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-locating-power-on-pads/

If it starts, you can be fairly sure it is the keyboard. Although a complicated repair, it is actually cheap to replace a keyboard and anyone with patience and a good guide (like found on ifixit.com) can do it.

Solution