Solved! Splitter for TV USB Port?

Nov 27, 2018
I have a VIZIO (2015) television that has three HDMI ports and one USB port. HDMI 1 - Google Chromecast; HDMI 2 - Roku Stick; HDMI 3 - Cable Box. Right now I switch the USB power source between the Chromecast/Roku devices when I want to use one or the other. This is a wall-mounted television so I am trying to avoid using the outlet that is a few feet away as the power source and having yet more cords hanging. I tried to use an USB 2.0 2-port splitter I had in the junk drawer, but I immediately get a low-power warning from the Roku device.

Is there any devices out there that will allow me to split the 1 USB port on my TV to power 2 devices?

Solution
The TV USB 2.0 port usually delivers 5V and 0.5A - 1A to connected USB devices.
The Roku USB device may use up to .9A and the Chromecast by itself uses up to 425mA.
So it might not be your old port splitter.
The port on your TV is probably only 2.0, and not likely to be capable of adequately powering both.

Unfortunately, the only solution I'm aware of would be a powered USB hub/splitter - or powering from another device. Does your cable box have a USB port, by chance? You might be able to power it that way (although a lot of cable boxes have minimal functionality from the USB port... I'd hope full power would still be present).

jojesa

Distinguished
The TV USB 2.0 port usually delivers 5V and 0.5A - 1A to connected USB devices.
The Roku USB device may use up to .9A and the Chromecast by itself uses up to 425mA.
So it might not be your old port splitter.

Solution