Sprint Shutting Down Nextel Network in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
SO this of course means cheaper data plans, right?

No, of course not. We will have to pay more to for less as always.

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Sprint has been nothing but great to me, I have been with them for years, note that they are the only big player that offers unlimited Data... Although WiMax was a complete failure I am glad that have decided to drop it in favor of a LTE 4G Network. There service is very reliable, and there prices are in my opinion one of the best

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I cant wait till my contract with Sprint is up this November because they are so overpriced. Im going for prepaid method which is 50 percent cheaper in all areas literally.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
All the US carriers suck, Sprint is simply the lesser evil (and even then only because of their prices and plans). It really is a shame that Sprint chose to let Nextel die rather than leverage a superior technology to gain an edge in the market. Oh well, ain't the first, won't be the last.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I hate chrome support on this site,,,anyway lesser of 2 evils? I pay 10 bucks x2 for phones under contract for 4g that has never been offered in my area. ouch.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]I hate chrome support on this site,,,anyway lesser of 2 evils? I pay 10 bucks x2 for phones under contract for 4g that has never been offered in my area. ouch.[/citation]

Well, you could be paying even more for LTE that you also can't ever use AAAAND data caps.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
look on your $print bill DUDE. It says for premium 4g coverage, NOT smartphone coverage. 3g users are penalized the same for 3g. I paid less for tmogul, I just couldn't accept their resolution when the sidekick servers crashed.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
it is labeled"premium data add on charge" on the bill.of which they have never offered in my area...the rep said it would be available in about a year...now that is a no go due to switch to lte. They better give me a free phone upgrade with new contract or I can buy a phone through a competitor and get a different cell plan...if $print don't trip and break a leg before then.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]I hate chrome support on this site,,,anyway lesser of 2 evils? I pay 10 bucks x2 for phones under contract for 4g that has never been offered in my area. ouch.[/citation]
If you read the contract, the $10 charge isn't for 4G, it's for all smartphones "due to their heavy data usage." 3G included. Still a slimmy trick, but they have to fund the complete and total overhaul to their network somehow... You should read the article about Sprint Vision. Essentially they are overhauling their network with modular towers (so they can run CDMA, WiMAX and LTE from the same tower instead of seperate towers, as well as plug in different technologies as needed) to lower maintanence and upkeep costs, and increase effeciency as well as bandwidth. They would rent out the excese bandwidth. HOPEFULLY this means lower prices and better coverage for Sprint subsrcibers a few years down the line.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
You work for Sprint? Please give me your rep ID so I can report how you talk to customers. We switched back to Sprint after being with t-mobile for 4 years. I had Sprint for 5 years before that, you do not need my thought on how bad their customer service was when I switched, they won the worst customer service award for it that year...around when Nextel was acquired. After the whole t-mobile issue, we switched back to Sprint. I cannot say that it has been stellar, but I can see how they have support issues if you think what you just said is acceptable in any way. I just did the math ...I pay 161 bucks for 1500 minutes and unlimited data text blah blah with Sprint. After fees I can get 1000 minutes on a family plan with free phones on a 2 year contract with t mobile with 2 gig cap and no overage fees for under 140 a month. Sprint has one or 2 bars at my home, and constantly falls off the network, whereas t mobile has 4g in my area now. I looked at my bill and we used 300 minutes of talk time and only 400 meg of data combined. so the logical thing would be to look at options when my contract expires in the next few months. Keep in mind that big corporations use software monitors to see posts about their company name, so the more times I say Sprint, the more they are likely to see this thread. Fighting on the internet is not my cup of tea, I just gave a logical post of my situation, now explain yours??

free_radical

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]If you read the contract, the $10 charge isn't for 4G, it's for all smartphones "due to their heavy data usage." 3G included. Still a slimmy trick, but they have to fund the complete and total overhaul to their network somehow... You should read the article about Sprint Vision. Essentially they are overhauling their network with modular towers (so they can run CDMA, WiMAX and LTE from the same tower instead of seperate towers, as well as plug in different technologies as needed) to lower maintanence and upkeep costs, and increase effeciency as well as bandwidth. They would rent out the excese bandwidth. HOPEFULLY this means lower prices and better coverage for Sprint subsrcibers a few years down the line.[/citation]

It's possible to avoid the data charge if you are off-contract and your phone hasn't been subsidized by the carrier. You may have to demand very persistently, threaten to cancel, and speak with more than one manager before they cave, but there is a good chance that they will. This is the case with AT&T, anyway. They will disable your data completely and you won't be charged anything. My wife and I both have smartphones (iPhone 3GS and Samsung Focus) and they agreed to do it. Neither of us wants their overpriced spotty coverage. A mandatory data plan is one policy that never made any sense to me. How does owning a smartphone necessitate data usage? There are plenty of advantages to owning a smartphone that do not involve data usage.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Exactly how old are you? I have been in the tech industry for 15 years. Do you cut yourself after throwing insults at people you don't know to make the pain go away? Internet tough guys are macho. LOL. Shame on me for only wanting to use what I paid for. Go ahead and tell the world how bright you are, we are all here listening, even Sprint :).I paid money for a phone that had wimax coming in the future, which was disbanded and being replaced with LTE. Wimax is not going to be offered in my area, even after they pledged it. Go on, we all want to hear more from the great one.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I would personally have a prepaid phone such as those you can get from Boost (Sprint), Cricket, Straight Talk (Wal-Mart). It's much cheaper to have one of these phones, and many offer unlimited Talk, Text and web (although they are capped). Some of their phones are crippled offerings with lower specs than those offered by the big players like Sprint. But Sprint upgrading their network and dumping Nextel is a good idea if it is slower than even 3G. However I would love to see better coverage in all areas. Where my aunt lives in PA the big players suck and service is spotty but she gets coverage everywhere with her Straight Talk phone (makes no sense as it uses Verizon's towers). All of these Tel Co's need to work on their networks and CS.

As for you whysobluepandabear if you work for Sprint you seriously need some time off, and anger management classes. Going off on someone, whether you work for them or not, in a forum post like that is not cool!

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]beoza[/nom]I would personally have a prepaid phone such as those you can get from Boost (Sprint), Cricket, Straight Talk (Wal-Mart). It's much cheaper to have one of these phones, and many offer unlimited Talk, Text and web (although they are capped). Some of their phones are crippled offerings with lower specs than those offered by the big players like Sprint. But Sprint upgrading their network and dumping Nextel is a good idea if it is slower than even 3G. However I would love to see better coverage in all areas. Where my aunt lives in PA the big players suck and service is spotty but she gets coverage everywhere with her Straight Talk phone (makes no sense as it uses Verizon's towers). All of these Tel Co's need to work on their networks and CS.As for you whysobluepandabear if you work for Sprint you seriously need some time off, and anger management classes. Going off on someone, whether you work for them or not, in a forum post like that is not cool![/citation]

Thanks for the prepaid point of view. In my area, the cricket works great (I had it before sprint, was the old qualcomm bricks back in the day lol). Cricket now has plenty of data plans that are cheap and just as good as the big guys, IF you find a device that does your needs. Some phones can be reprogrammed for cricket, some can't. I guess it all boils down to what you can afford, and how much nonsense you are willing to put up with from the people you give money too.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Um, that's not going off. If you wanna see going off, you haven't caught me on the right day - not even remotely. Telling someone to go F themselves, and go to a different company because needy, self entitled people like him are not wanted, isn't exactly going off. People like that, who demand free stuff and special services, think they're above the rest of us - they think they deserve special treatment, as if they're royalty. What makes him, or any other needy person more of a priority? Why can't he pay the same like the rest of us? Oh yeah, because he thinks he's somehow the exception. So yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm not into people like that. You're not a special snowflake, and you don't get special treatment just because mommy told you that you were her little prince. It doesn't matter if you live in Antarctica - if you signed and agreed to the terms, then you pay what you agreed to. Sprint never promised you 4G coverage - they especially didn't do it if you don't live in a MAJOR populated area. It's YOUR fault for not reading your contract - and it's YOUR fault for being misinformed and stupid. So go burden another company with wasted customer care support, and other freebies because you think you're somehow more important than the rest of their consumers.[/citation]

You have no skills with people, that is obvious. Is your last name Johnson? I would understand the Richard comments then. I pay my bill, on time every month. I also remember that both sides have an obligation, of which Sprint has not met(yet). I figured it was past your bedtime, it has been a while since you replied. We were all getting lonely. Do you have anything useful to add to this conversation, or are you going to just keep spouting out nonsense? Hey check Sprints stock lately? Or even their facebook page? Lot's of happy people there. I would think Sprint keeps you hidden away from the customers on the floor, you could lose them a lot of sales.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
More personal attacks, that is grand. No basis other than you hate your job apparently. The 10 dollar per line is my whole point...if you do the math that is 480 dollars for 2 lines on a 2 year contract.What did I get for that? The promise of a better network. Has that happened? No. These are true points that cannot be ignored, please leave the rational discussion up to adults. So after not being able to use the device on the "new network" the customer paid for, we are suppose to just sweep that under the rug? I don't see that happening. I do see a reasonable person talking to me when I go in to discuss my contract renewal(if I go that route). I can't believe someone would get on a forum and say they work for Sprint and act they way you have, you may not understand business ethics, but you are speaking for the company when you do that. I have been to the verizon store, I didn't buy their spill. I analyze and look at things, and when they are not met people go other places. You should be careful of your blood pressure, you could hurt yourself. Since you work for Sprint, and know what the game plan is, you tell me...are they expanding wimax still? are they going to LTE only with the nextel disbanded? What about all the 4g devices sold that will be in limbo? What is the game plan? Can you tell me anything about strategy or am i just to hear more name calling?

Status
Not open for further replies.