Spyware and Unwanted Software Protection.

philthethrill

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
After Windows 10 did a few updates, I saw a sign saying spyware and unwanted software protection. I clicked on it and Windows Defender was off. I tried turning it on but nothing happened. I get an error message saying "Real-time protection couldn't be turned on. This operation returned because the timeout period expired." I did a Google search using the search terms "spyware and unwanted software protection" and I saw that Malwarebytes Antimalware was recommended. I restarted my computer in safe mode and ran the program. I took a lunch break and then I saw that my monitor said no signal. I tried different hdmi cables and different hdmi outlets in the monitor and computer. When that failed, I turned my computer off and then turned it on. I read reviews that antimalware is a scam so I deleted it. What do you recommend for a virus and spyware scanner? Would it be better than Windows Defender?

Gamer Cat

Estimable
May 11, 2015
In terms of a antivirus, I recommend Bitdefender, Avira, and AVG if you are looking for a free version. For a paid version, I recommend Bitdefender, AVG, and Webroot. :)

For secondary protection, I recommend Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro. :)

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Is it for commercial (i.e., business) or personal use? Are you looking for something free or are you willing to pay for the software and/or services that come with said software?