Square Enix CEO Predicts New Wii in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]So... they're going to copy project Natal?[/citation]
I wouldn't call it "copy". Natal took what the Wii had going and extended it.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
They should only release a new console once the Wii starts losing market share. Don't fix something if it's not broken. Sega made the mistake of heavily marketing the Dreamcast while the Saturn still had strong software sales in Japan. With the result that many 3rd party publishers deserted Sega.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Depends how you look at it. You could say Nintendo going to copy Natal, but then you could say Natal copied the Wiimote and eyetoy. It really depends how far back you trace the technology.

G

if it is still pitifully underpowered i dont see how it will sell when you can get a much more powerful system for not much more that being either a xbox or a ps3

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Xzar[/nom]Don't fix something if it's not broken.[/citation] Yeah, the Wii doesn't appeal to hardcore gamers, but the company has out sold both consoles each year. What they need to do is make some better games, then some stupid stick figures that you can get bored of in less that 5 mins.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
All told, the Wii's hardware isn't QUITE that much weaker than its competitors. A lot of the gains to graphics hardware the 360 and PS3 had are quickly eaten up by the fact that they mandate HD resolutions for all their games. Any astute gamer on the PC (or just anyone that looks at PC gaming benchmarks) can tell you cranking the resolution is one of the quickest ways to tax hardware. So that's part of how the Wii manages to be able to port almost all 360 and PS3 games with such weaker hardware: they only run at 720x480, without either AA or HDR. (two other taxing options)

Much of the CPU power difference is simply because the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't even use their full CPUs for their main gaming mode; they're reserved for other tasks, particularly software emulation of previous consoles, as well as playing HD video. (downloaded for the 360, and Blu-Ray for the PS3; that stuff eats up a LOT of CPU power, for those that didn't check)

As a result, I'm wondering how the Wii, if it's not a new generation of console, (and instead a "half-step upgrade" like, say, the DSi) would manage to still retain the same formfactor while dealing with much bigger hardware. Granted, it could PROBABLY fit the same if they used 45nm instead of 90nm parts like the original 360, PS3, and Wii used, but I'm not so sure about heat production.

As far as the rest of it... I do agree that full backwards-compatibility is a must; Nintendo did a smart move with the Wii, basing its architecture to fully encompass the GameCube's architecture; this is a novel idea for consoles, but is rather old hat for PCs, where a modern Core i7 will still run code written for a 31-year-old 8086 CPU. If Nintendo's architecture seems still sound, they could likely just build onto it yet again, yielding a console that'll natively play both GameCube and Wii games without needing either software emulators or separate and expensive BC hardware.

As far as the actual hardware in it... Nintendo's strategy seems to always center around making a profit on the hardware. (actually, the only three consoles that launched to sell at a loss were the Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3, of with the 360 now makes a profit) Fortunately, chip prices have fallen drastically in the past few years, particularly right AFTER the 7th generation consoles launched. So if they stick with only GDDR3 for the memory (which is RELATIVELY cheap) they could easily cram 512MB in; the current cost of that is maybe $20-25US. Similarly, the Wii's CPU and GPU are pretty tiny, so even just switching to 45nm would let them quadruple the transistor count and keep costs/size about the same.

Of course, then come some of the OTHER questions... Like if they'll ever get around to letting people buy them in colors OTHER than white, like they implied/promised people would. And of what sort of videos, if any, they could play. Once the CPU power is increased, even HD video really wouldn't be out of reach, but even for DVD, royalty fees is something of concern; the patent on DVDs remains until, I think, 2015, so before then it'd be like $10US on the cost of every "Wii 2" would have to go for that. And of course, Blu-Ray capability would require LOADS of things, not the least of which would involve making a contract with Sony to use loads of their technology. (as a result, I don't think it's gonna happen... Same as for why the 360 hasn't had a Blu-Ray player for it)

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
If you've seen ASUS's Eee Box, which is more than capable of HD video playback and simple HD gaming, I'd say that a 2011 Wii will be based on an upcoming Intel Atom and nvidia's ion platform or maybe nvidia's x86 CPU if they ever really release it.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
They should easily be able to beat the Ps3 and 360, just use a midrange ATI 5000 series card (which isnt out yet) or even something like the ATI 4670 is better than the Ps3/360 graphics card.

Ed Brown

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]but what will they call it?[/citation]

WiiII? (Weeee)... IIWii (or not IIWii - sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously, it will be nice with better HD support, (HDMI/display port), but I'd not look for anything revolutionary considering how well the Wii is selling in its "underdog" niche as is.

Expect WiiII to be much smaller, use even less power and perhaps have a decent-sized SSD of some kind to store downloaded games. The new controller will likely be a refresh of the existing one (including Motion Plus functionality) in a smaller, lighter and more ergonomic form. Heck, maybe they'll make it out of Nerf™ material.

Overall, no changes that are a big deal unless you're really into the Wii enough to have serious gripes about its current shortcomings.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
People remember, even though the Wii doesn't really appeal o hardcore gamers, most people aren't. It's all about targeting the largest demographic.

In all reality, you were happy with the graphics of the PSX and N64 weren't you? What's so different?
-Coming from a i7/360 owner, yet who plays occasional n64 games.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ed brown[/nom]WiiII? (Weeee)... IIWii (or not IIWii - sorry, couldn't resist)Seriously, it will be nice with better HD support, (HDMI/display port), but I'd not look for anything revolutionary considering how well the Wii is selling in its "underdog" niche as is. Expect WiiII to be much smaller, use even less power and perhaps have a decent-sized SSD of some kind to store downloaded games. The new controller will likely be a refresh of the existing one (including Motion Plus functionality) in a smaller, lighter and more ergonomic form. Heck, maybe they'll make it out of Nerf™ material.Overall, no changes that are a big deal unless you're really into the Wii enough to have serious gripes about its current shortcomings.[/citation]

LOLnerf material that would be a mega plus consindering as it is , a cheap ass 40 dollar remote can easily fly off an shatter a 1000+ dolar tv LOL

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]People remember, even though the Wii doesn't really appeal o hardcore gamers, most people aren't. It's all about targeting the largest demographic.In all reality, you were happy with the graphics of the PSX and N64 weren't you? What's so different?-Coming from a i7/360 owner, yet who plays occasional n64 games.[/citation]

im so tired of heraing thsi ahrcd core / not hardcore thing lol , '

face rfacts ahrd core gamers are playing games fromtoday as well as any number of classic outdated games , still , so why any "hardcore"gamerwoudl beturned off to teh will is beyond me , it does have some games that are more "adult" than others not all it'sgames are geared towards children.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]All told, the Wii's hardware isn't QUITE that much weaker than its competitors. A lot of the gains to graphics hardware the 360 and PS3 had are quickly eaten up by the fact that they mandate HD resolutions for all their games. Any astute gamer on the PC (or just anyone that looks at PC gaming benchmarks) can tell you cranking the resolution is one of the quickest ways to tax hardware. So that's part of how the Wii manages to be able to port almost all 360 and PS3 games with such weaker hardware: they only run at 720x480, without either AA or HDR.citation]

that resolution to 720p is not so drastic that it would slowa machine down , infcat marginal resolution cahnges hardly ammount to any performance loss today, it's drastic resolution changes that cut performance (sucha s going from 800x600 to 1080p , further more 360 games DONT run fS-AA and while 1080p can be done on it , frame rates on the 360 plumet on many titles when put on 1080p ( which is 1900 (something not sure of exact)x 1080) , so it actually only does 720 p (that's 1366 x 720). which si not full HD. also youa re talkigna bout resolution and mention HDR , this means high dynamic range lighting it has NOTHING to do with resolution, though it is a system killer or at elast it was , basscially any video card over 60 bucks in value today usually can pul of hdr with no affect to frames (i've tested this in both FO3 and oblivioon on pc , and my frames only drop by 1-2 fps with hrd on as comapred to with it off.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
p.s. i could care less for gimicky controll schemes tahts why i dotnr eally care a flip for nintendo wii or Ms's natal crap , it's jsuta gimick and in teh end ther will always be aneed for teh old fashon game contoller

Status
Not open for further replies.