SSD disappeared after loading default bios settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca Picovici

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
The laptop in discussion is Lenovo Y520-15IKBM.

The problem story, in order:

1. Wanted to update BIOS as lenovo utility asked me to
2. Went into BIOS and selected Load Default Settings (bios update setup told me to do so)
3. At this time, everything crashed. Laptop won't boot into windows. BSOD with stop code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
4. I went into BIOS and saw that Legacy items disappeared, as UEFI was selected for the Boot Mode and Boot Priority
5. After selecting Legacy Support and Legacy First as Boot Mode and Boot Priority respectively, my SATA HDD and Network Boot are now visible under Legacy list, but NOT the SSD with the windows installed on it.
6. When booting with HDD on top priority, it flashes a black screen with the text "checking media" for 3 seconds, then restarts over and over again.

Solutions I have tried:
- Attached my usb drive with windows installed and tried Startup Repair and System Recovery with no success. Also, I have tried the command prompt and used diskpart to list my disks to make sure if SSD is visible or not. It isn't, just the HDD appears. Did not try any other cmd commands.

I have to make SSD visible somehow so that everything is back to normal and to be able to update the bios.

Please help me, I am unable to solve it because it is beyond my knowledge!

I don't want to send it to the Lenovo service once again, only if it's the last option!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Farzan72
Solution
SOLVED
In BIOS menu, I have set SATA to AHCI and it worked flawless! Now laptop boots into windows just like before.
Instead of AHCI it was set to Intel RST Premium (raid) mode.

Luca Picovici

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
SOLVED
In BIOS menu, I have set SATA to AHCI and it worked flawless! Now laptop boots into windows just like before.
Instead of AHCI it was set to Intel RST Premium (raid) mode.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.