SSD not showing up in format page/new OS

b0thered

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Hi there, I've just purchased the Asus ROG G752VM-GC010T. It came with Windows 10 pre-installed so I've used the tool from the Windows website to make a new image of 10 using my laptop's Windows 10 product ID.

I've booted from disk as I normally would but however I can't seem to see the 250GB SSD in the options on screen. I can only see the 1TB HDD and obviously I'd prefer to install Windows 10 onto the SSD.

I've done this before on my desktop so I'm wondering if anyone knows why my SSD isn't showing up?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Solution
Hey there & Happy New Year, @b0thered!

I'd strongly recommend you check if the SSD appears in the connected SATA devices in the BIOS interface, if the HDD is recognized there but it's not listed in the Windows Installation Wizard, I'd suggest you try to boot into the Advanced Windows 10 options and use the Command Prompt DiskPart to format (clean disk) and assign a drive letter to the SSD.

If the drive is not listed in the BIOS interface either, I'd advise you to try resetting BIOS. Afterwards, make sure that the SSD is set in AHCI mode in the SATA mode options and that it's your first boot priority after the installation media.

It's also possible that the Windows 10 installation is not working properly. In...

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there & Happy New Year, @b0thered!

I'd strongly recommend you check if the SSD appears in the connected SATA devices in the BIOS interface, if the HDD is recognized there but it's not listed in the Windows Installation Wizard, I'd suggest you try to boot into the Advanced Windows 10 options and use the Command Prompt DiskPart to format (clean disk) and assign a drive letter to the SSD.

If the drive is not listed in the BIOS interface either, I'd advise you to try resetting BIOS. Afterwards, make sure that the SSD is set in AHCI mode in the SATA mode options and that it's your first boot priority after the installation media.

It's also possible that the Windows 10 installation is not working properly. In this case, I'd recommend you re-create the bootable media following the MS instructions.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.
SuperSoph_WD :)

Solution