SSD Performance in Lightroom

Merackon

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014
Hi,

I am wondering whether changing the location of my 'Photos' folder on Windows 8.1 to my SSD, with the Lightroom catalogue also being moved there, would speed up the editing process of Lightroom.

I ask this because at the moment the Photos folder is on a 7200rpm WD Black 1TB, and when loading up the application it takes a while for the photos to load it, not to mention when making changes to the photographs. Would the SSD make this a lot smoother and less jittery?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Solution
Organization depends on how many, and what you're actually doing.
10 pics a day, or 1,000 for a wedding would point to different organization schemes.

As said, mine are in individual folders by date. I use an Eye-fi SD card, witch automatically creates new folders based on date taken. On whatever drive I tell it to. RAW goes here, jpg there, video over there.

First time loading of a particular folder does take time from the HDD. But once loaded into the library....after that it is pretty quick.

Merackon

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014

Apologies, I forgot to put in my system spec, 16GB RAM, 4930k, X79 Deluxe, 840 Pro Boot Drive 256GB, old Toshiba SSD from MacBook Pro formatted in computer as a redundancy drive (this is where I would move the Photos folder) and a WD Black 1TB as mentioned above.

USAFRet

Illustrious
What are the specs of your system?
I use Lightroom daily. 16GB RAM, SSD's and HDD's.

The file initially lives on the HDD or an SSD, load it up, perform whatever mods, save back to another HDD. Edits to the file are pretty instantaneous.

I'm thinking a RAM limitation is the issue here. Once loaded, everything happens in RAM. It only talks to the drive on final save.

Merackon

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014

Yeah sorry, forgot to post that in my profile feed, it is in the above answer to the first responder. 16GB

USAFRet

Illustrious
Given 16GB RAM, an i7, and Win8.1, it should be pretty fast.
The only real difference between your system and mine would seem to be the CPU...I have an i5-3570k instead of your i7.

Each edit to an image is pretty much "now".
How are your files organized? If you're trying to load a LOT in a particular folder, yes, it may be slow loading initially. Mine are strictly segregated by date taken. If I had 1,000 in a particular folder, having them read from an SSD might be faster.

But for editing....lightning fast, no matter where the file lives.

Merackon

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014

So could you think of any way to optimise my organisation or such in a step by step way. How have you got yours set up?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Organization depends on how many, and what you're actually doing.
10 pics a day, or 1,000 for a wedding would point to different organization schemes.

As said, mine are in individual folders by date. I use an Eye-fi SD card, witch automatically creates new folders based on date taken. On whatever drive I tell it to. RAW goes here, jpg there, video over there.

First time loading of a particular folder does take time from the HDD. But once loaded into the library....after that it is pretty quick.

Solution