Question SSD SMART warning and bad health status

May 13, 2020
SSD SMART warning and bad health status

Hey guys, I have an HP Omen laptop and having some issues with my SSD.

So I had been having slight issues with my laptop like applications crashing at times, force restarts rarely and laggy performance which I was ignoring as my laptop is 3 years old and the issues weren't really too frequent and used to be fine after a restart so I never really looked closely into it. Right until my laptop started throwing a SMART error and just failed to boot up.

I did the SMART hard drive test and my SSD failed while the HDD seemed fine. I wasn't really sure how to go about things and my laptop didnt have any critical data so I tried to reinstall windows and formatted both the drives. I installed windows on my HDD and it seemed to work fine after quite a few tries.

The issue I have now is what do I do about my SSD? I cant replace it ATM, I tried checking to see its health, in Disk Management I created a partition for the SSD which I'm not sure is the intended use but it shows healthy, however checked using CrystalDisk and its health status shows BAD. I also get occasional SMART warnings while booting up but not frequently.

Sometimes the laptop gets stuck on the loading screen during startup and I have noticed the drive disappear and reappear in my File Explorer, and I feel like it is hindering the performance of my laptop. Is there some way I can fix this, and if not should I just remove my SDD from my laptop? I feel like that might help, but I'm not sure what the next step would be and most of the stuff online suggests replacing it but since I cant right now is removing it a better option?

Other details in case needed:
RAM - 16 GB
HDD - 1 TB
SSD - 128 GB
Windows 10

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 3
H Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 3