Review Star review (hands on): High-speed satellite internet is finally here

Mar 6, 2021
Fast.com is owned by Netflix and typically shows speeds your ISP have capped data speeds at to conserve bandwidth. Im sure you could extend the data cable if thats what comes withe the antenna by cutting adding a cat5 or cat6 coupler. Im assuming the router has a bridge mode.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
One detail that isn't mentioned in this review is if Dishy was kept in one place for at least a week. There has been quite a few reports that keeping it stationary for a long enough period of time allows the dish to better calibrate and achieve higher speeds, as well as connection stability.

Mar 6, 2021
Good review of Starlink, but I'm concerned about the installation after reading the cables are permanently attached. What size hole is required to get the cable from the outside to the inside of the house?

Mar 1, 2021
I’ve found using my own router means rebooting it about twice a week whereas I didn’t have to reboot my router rarely ever before. With that said it’s a very minor inconvenience for the speeds I’m getting. Also the first week was a little unstable but I’ve had service for a month and almost never have drops now.

Mar 1, 2021
Good review of Starlink, but I'm concerned about the installation after reading the cables are permanently attached. What size hole is required to get the cable from the outside to the inside of the house?
I did have to have a fairly large hole to fit the cord in because of the large RMI on the cord. Needed a little more than a 3/4” hole because of it. I’ve seen some kits with split grommets to help with the install because of it.

Mar 1, 2021
Can the router be used in ethernet only mode to connect to an existing network?
I use my own router that plugs into the poe port for the starlink router. It autodetects and works with any routers. You just lose some of the stats for the connection the starlink app collects.

Mar 6, 2021
This is one of the best reviews of the Starlink I have read.
I should point out though that you have an inaccuracy in your report. Weather intentionally omitted or not.
- ViaSat and Hughes Net have been "getting broadband to the rural parts of the country" for years now. It is with draw backs like high latency rates. However, at least with ViaSat, you can Stream Netflix and even conduct Zoom meetings on it even have VIOP connections work fairly well on it. Albeit usually at a much higher price, leased equipment, as well as long contracts. What Starlnk does bring is gaping much of the broadband shortfalls of these other services. at a slightly lower price and with out the long contracts. You are purchasing the equipment though. So some of them like ViaSat (And even Amazon, which is in works to have their own version like Starlink in the near future) are try to use interesting legal means to halt the deployment of Starlink. Fast switch gaming (FPS and such) would now be possible with Starlink as well as a better connection of video conference services such as Zoon, Teams and such. As well as 4K downloads and the like (pending bandwidth limits that will likely be coming.)

Ryan F Mercer

Commendable
Mar 6, 2021
...I'm concerned about the installation after reading the cables are permanently attached. What size hole is required to get the cable from the outside to the inside of the house?

You can buy a cable routing kit on the Starlink website. It comes with a 1 inch diameter drill bit. The permanently attached cord has a nearly 1 inch diameter bulge on the plug end.

I mounted my Starlink dish to the roof pole my HughesNet dish was using. I used the universal pole adapter available on Starlink's website and run the cable under the eve and through the siding into the garage. The routing kit and pole adapter had everything I needed.

Mar 6, 2021
You say the price is to high but when you have no options or pay 300 upfront for satellite internet and 150 a month after for less then 100Mbs down with poll rates of 1000+ and solf or hard data caps starlink looks like a steal to people like me and all viasat trys to do is up my bill for any kind of support i hope starlink takes off and really puts a hurting on companies like viasat and hugsnet

Reactions: Canuck23
Mar 6, 2021
Can the router be used in ethernet only mode to connect to an existing network?
To answer your question it cannot be set in bridge mode. As a work around I connected a switch to the starlink power brick and then added the Starlink router to the switch so that the router was powered by the switch. I also connected my router to the switch. This allowed both my network and the starlink router to connect to dishy. I connect to the starlink router ssid when I want to look at Starlink status but my network works as it always did. If I had connected my router to go thru the starlink router I would have had double NAT issues. Simply not using the starlink router would have left me without the ability to check starlink status. Having to switch between ssid's is a minor inconvenience with my setup.

Mar 7, 2021
I can't believe you guys are quibbling about these speeds. In Australia, I've lived in Melbourne and so on and the best speeds I've ever seen are 5mb/s speeds. (40mbps) And I still get drop outs and bad pings.

I was streaming and gaming for years on 15-25mbps.

If I can get starlinks speeds for $99 I'll be one happy dude. Unless you have a whole flat of dedicated gamers, this is amazing speeds.

Mar 7, 2021
Excellent review! But I will like to know what will be the policy of the company for countries where the state oversight the internet contents. That could be a game-changer in my opinion.

JRHill02

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
I haven't seen anything regarding the user's location. Obviously Starlink knows where you are but will websites find out from Starlink or its equipment?

Mar 7, 2021
Thank you for this awesome review I am actually on the waitlist for starlink right now and I am so excited to get it.
That being said I would love to correct a couple inaccuracies in your article. First of all $99 a month really is not that expensive. I currently pay almost $200 a month for ViaSat. HughesNet is also well over $100 for the closest comprable plan they have
The second thing I would like to correct is where you state during no competing companies currently. This is simply not true. There is HughesNet and ViaSat. With ViaSat coming the closest to competing to starlink. In some areas ViaSat has plans up to 100 megabits per second. In my own area I have a 50 megabit per second plan. This is still fast enough to be considered high speed. That being said latency on these plans is ridiculously high with my average being well over 600 MS.
I will agree that starlinks offering will change the game. It will revolutionize satellite internet that we have today. I got on the waiting list as soon as I was able to paid my deposit, and can hardly wait to get started

Reactions: JRHill02

JRHill02

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
I am actually on the waitlist for starlink right now and I am so excited to get it.

Me too. I've had sat internet for many many years. 4 different providers and Gen5 is the current one. They have all sucked. Many years of working from home in a professional position and couldn't do a webex, a Skype call or meeting, a VOIP call, etc. In at least two cases I was released due to internet limitations. The average city dweller would has said "Just move." Well, that's what city people do. Some people can't just flip to a different apartment.

This has been a long time coming.

Mar 7, 2021
I have lived in rural areas for 20+ yrs. I have had DSL, Hughesnet and Viasat, and now have Starlink. Starlink has its blips but is hands down the best of my internet experience since leaving the city! There wasn't streaming yet with DSL so I can't really speak to that. But with Hughesnet I paid $80/month and was allowed 50 gigs of internet during waking hours. With Viasat I was allowed those same 50 gigs for $125 and it was worse service (better customer service though worse internet svc). Latency was easily in the 1400ms range with both, and a 50 gig limit meant no streaming and no updating video games because we had to save that data for my WFH. Cloudy, stormy days also made working from home difficult with frequently dropped internet connections and even longer latency. Upload speeds averaged .5 mbps, and downloads around 15-20.

Enter Starlink.

We installed it in November. At first, 70-120ms latency was the norm and we dropped internet frequently, apparently due to obstructions. We moved the dish, per Supports recommendation, and the drops are much less frequent. There's still 'beta downtime' and occasional obstruction drop offs. Zoom calls are often the most frequent victims which makes work interesting. But in this post-covid world where nearly everyone is WFH, that sort of thing is expected. Latency is averaging 20-40ms, downloads are averaging 80-100 (and we've seen speeds as high as the 150s), and uploads are around 2-5. Service is still really good even during a snow storm that dumped 8 inches of snow in a few hours, we only had the buffer wheel twice and didn't lose internet at all. The best part so far is the unlimited access - I have now seen Lost, and Game of Thrones, and a bunch of other series as well as movies! I have an xBox Live acct and while the lag can drop connections for COD Warzone (and Outbreak) sometimes, I've made it to #2 in Warzone which means it's still possible to win. And considering it was impossible before Starlink, it's really hard to get mad. You can also buy a game that came out a year ago and download that 60 gig update in an hour or so. Again, with a 50 gig limit on the old satellite services, it wasn't possible to do the updating even at the 3am additional 20 gig non-peak hours window. Also, once WFH became 100% due to covid, we were constantly paying an extra 10, 20, 30 bucks with Viasat because we'd be throttled before the month was over, JUST from me doing my job.

So yeah, Starlink is amazing!!

Pros: download speed, latency compared to other satellite avcs, constant improvements to the system and service, unlimited data at $99/mo, snow melts off FAST so you don't lose signal from that (and can put it on the roof without worrying about access to clean it off)

Cons: Had to drill a 1" hole into the side of the house to get the cable in (to pass a standard 3-prong grounded plug), there is no admin portal to the router (yet), still dropping sound and freezing video calls maybe 2 out of 5 times (meet, webex, zoom, & ms teams, both pc and mac)