StatCounter: Chrome Now Well Above 20 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hah! This makes me happy! I love Chrome, especially the syncing feature and the fact that it's blazing fast. I never touch another browser these days.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I quit Firefox a few months ago. Too many browsers lol. I just use IE9 at home, and IE9+Chrome at work. No problem at all with IE9.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I wish Google would do Chrome for iOS. Then I can have the same browser on all my devices. Hate Safari.[/citation]

Apple would just find some obscure reason to ban it from the app store if they did. LOL

G

[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]Chrome is gaining market share because it is faster than other web browsers.[/citation]

It's gaining market share because every little random thing you download from google or third party software tries to install it on your computer. I've never seen that with FF.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nitrium[/nom]I wish Google would do Chrome for iOS. Then I can have the same browser on all my devices. Hate Safari.[/citation]
they do...just have to know where to get it

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ghormax[/nom]why not use Chromium, the open source version of Chrome?[/citation]
because it opens the door for a lot of crap

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]It's gaining market share because every little random thing you download from google or third party software tries to install it on your computer. I've never seen that with FF.[/citation]
This. Most people just click "next" too so 99% of them don't even know it got installed

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Rescue is near: use Opera Mini for your iOS device and Opera for your desktop. The first browser with sync features, speed dials, tabs (yes, they were the first major browser with tabs) and so on. Oh, and blazing fast as well.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]because it opens the door for a lot of crap[/citation]

Care to elaborate on that? Chrome and Chromium are identical: just as safe, just as stable, same features and extensions. The only difference is the lack of certain privacy breaching tokens collected by Google when using Chrome.

raurelian

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Rescue is near: use Opera Mini for your iOS device and Opera for your desktop. The first browser with sync features, speed dials, tabs (yes, they were the first major browser with tabs) and so on. Oh, and blazing fast as well.[/citation]

Yep, love Opera - innovation all the way. Have your desktop Opera sync with the Mobile one and you are all set - not to mention the Turbo mode! Internet is blazing fast anywhere I am (even with the netbook on the a edge of a free WiFi)

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]raurelian[/nom]Yep, love Opera - innovation all the way. Have your desktop Opera sync with the Mobile one and you are all set - not to mention the Turbo mode! Internet is blazing fast anywhere I am (even with the netbook on the a edge of a free WiFi)[/citation]

Oh yeah, Turbo is great for mobile internet. It really speeds up browsing and saves you money if you're on a limited data plan/pay per mb.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
If browsers had market share based on how good they actually were, Opera would be ahead of Chrome right now. Since Chrome has support and advertisement from a huge company like Google, and Opera has virtually no advertisement, naturally Chrome is gaining market share.

Opera could take off - if they get their advertisement right. They need to make some deals with a few larger companies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]If browsers had market share based on how good they actually were, Opera would be ahead of Chrome right now. Since Chrome has support and advertisement from a huge company like Google, and Opera has virtually no advertisement, naturally Chrome is gaining market share.Opera could take off - if they get their advertisement right. They need to make some deals with a few larger companies.[/citation]

Opera can't afford advertising and doesn't need it either.

For starters, they enjoy a very healthy position in the mobile market, where they managed to gain a name for themselves (primarily by being the first functional mobile browsers, although they were also the first functional web browser, yet didn't manage to capitalize on that). On the desktop, their market share is clearly high enough to turn a profit (Opera Software ASA is a profitable compnay).

Second, a large portion of their revenue comes from licensing. For example, the Presto rendering engine (one of the fastest and most consistent in the browsing world) is used by Adobe's CS4-5 for rendering. Given the size of Adobe, the licensing fee might well be their primary source of income.

G

I use Chrome but I'd switch to IE9 if only I could find an Ad Blocker for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.