Static/Crackling noise with HD Youtube videos

Slackopus

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Hi, whenever I try play a youtube video in HD the sound has a background crackling/static noise and is very noticeable. It only does this on chrome as games and music plays just fine. Any suggestions for a fix would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Solution

Chrome uses several video codecs which are GPU accelerated to offload the decoding to the GPU. This can cause the GPU to kick into high gear even when the user is not playing games. If your speakers are connected to your sound card through the front panel it's possible that EMI from the GPU's VRMs are inducing noise on the front panel connector. If this is the case, connecting the speakers to the back panel should eliminate the issue.

Alternatively, many older GPU drivers have problems...

Slackopus

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014

I checked and I have the latest version. The audio worked fine on my PC before installing upgrades (GPU, case, SSD, PSU) and now all of a sudden the static noise happens when i play youtube videos, only in HD though >.>

Any other suggestions? thanks

Slackopus

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry but it didnt fix the issue, reinstalling google chrome seems to have been a temporary fix and now is back to its 'stuttery' state.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Chrome uses several video codecs which are GPU accelerated to offload the decoding to the GPU. This can cause the GPU to kick into high gear even when the user is not playing games. If your speakers are connected to your sound card through the front panel it's possible that EMI from the GPU's VRMs are inducing noise on the front panel connector. If this is the case, connecting the speakers to the back panel should eliminate the issue.

Alternatively, many older GPU drivers have problems with codec acceleration; updating the GPU driver to the latest that is available from the manufacturer (AMD/NVidia/Intel) will usually rectify this. If you have a laptop that uses OEM drivers, you'll have to replace them with manufacturer drivers; this may disable some OEM features.

Solution